2GStratus

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Attempting timing belt replacement 2.4L SOHC., Any help would be appreciated.
Pandemona
post Aug 2 2011, 05:41 PM
Post #1

Just joined...

Group: New Members
Member No.: 5730
2003 Dodge Stratus
SXT Coupe
2.4L / Auto
Pearl White

Background: 2003 Dodge Stratus Coupe SXT w/2.4L SOHC
Mileage: 178,XXX
Hello
My timing belt broke while the car was running a couple of weeks back and I can not wait another six weeks before I could afford to have it fixed by a professional and have decided to attempt to fix the car myself. I know that the motor is an interference motor and more problems may lie within.

My first question is: Should I get Haynes - Repair Manual for 1995-2005 Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Stratus & Avenger for $24.99 OR
Haynes - Repair Manual for 1995-2005 Misubishi Eclipse for $24.99 OR
Chilton DIY - Total Car Care Manual for 1999-2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse for $19.99
My second question is: Any tips?

My third question: Should I even attempt to fix this myself? I took a small-engines class in high school and I have torn down an 1989 2.5L Turbo I
motor and thats it with the 2.5L. And some other basic repairs on other cars. I believe that I am capable of doing this, but I
still have my doubts.

I have search this forum for any information on the timing belt but couldn't find anything that could really help. I went to club3g.com and found a helpful HOW TO, but I need more help.

Thanks

Joe from St. Joe
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pearl01stratcpe
post Aug 2 2011, 06:01 PM
Post #2

2g Pimps

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 4018
2001 Dodge Stratus
SE Coupe
4G64 / Manual
Pearl White

Go to tearstone.com and look under factory service manuals for the same year eclipse. You have a fun project ahead of you

+Quote Post
Centurin
post Aug 3 2011, 02:02 AM
Post #3

Double Trouble

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 5625
2003 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
3.0L V6 / Automatic
Titanium Grey

And if it broke while the car was running (as stated), you most likely have a lot more work ahead of you than just replacing the belt.

+Quote Post
Pandemona
post Aug 21 2011, 02:07 AM
Post #4

Just joined...

2003 Dodge Stratus
SXT Coupe
2.4L / Auto
Pearl White

Thanks for that website it'll help a lot. So I've decided to just go ahead and remove the head to check what is what and see how much this repair is going to take. I haven't started this yet, but after reading this manual, I noticed that to reduce the pressure in the fuel lines, you must run the engine. Well I can't do that, so how do I reduce the pressure without the car running? I am following the head gasket instructions. Thanks for the help.

+Quote Post
Pandemona
post Dec 24 2011, 11:19 PM
Post #5

Just joined...

2003 Dodge Stratus
SXT Coupe
2.4L / Auto
Pearl White

Well I got my Stratus running back in September. I did all the work myself except for the head work. I had a lot of help with information from various people at the parts store, a Mitsubishi dealership mechanic, and this site. So thanks. Even though I got it running, I now have an oil leak. I believe it to be coming from the head gasket.
The car runs fine but I had to make an exhaust pipe shield to prevent the oil from burning on it. It was really soaking into the flex pipe. Whenever I have the time I'll try and tighten the headbolts another quarter. That should take care of it, if the oil is coming from the head gasket right?

+Quote Post
Pearl01stratcpe
post Dec 25 2011, 03:09 AM
Post #6

2g Pimps

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 4018
2001 Dodge Stratus
SE Coupe
4G64 / Manual
Pearl White

Its been a while since Ive taken apart an engine, but I believe you would see coolant before oil if it was the head gasket. Did you replace the valve cover gasket when you did all the work? You are more likely to seeing oil coming from there I think.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 09:11 PM