post Jul 3 2010, 05:46 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5664
2002 DODGE Stratus r/t
r/t coupe
3.0l v6 / 5 spd manual
Pearl White

so i bought a 01 stratus r/t for nearly next to nothing recently, and the previous owner did not bring it to a trusted trans guy (quite frankly there is no trustable mechanic/trans guy anywhere close to where i live) and long story short, he had the fluid pump in the trans changed and the guy did not(acording to him) change the fluid.

ive read the sticky topic about the wave spring, and the trans is still feeling sluggish, and or like its slipping. Ive not had it out to test it yet since ive just recently aquired it so more info willbe incoming in a day or so i bet. But at a first glance, do i change fluid and try to see if that fixes the problem? the mechanic seems to think theres some gumming up in there or something from when the previous pump was changed but not fluid.

on a side note, i pulled the trans dipstick and the fluid smelled strange (but not at all burnt), but nothing like the atf +4 i recently had put into my intrepid es.... Could a sluggish trans thats having a hard time getting into gear be a sign of someone having put dexron mercron in the trans?

EDIT:: After doing some additional reading, would an amature mechanic have missed the broken wavy ring and not put a new one in? would this cause whats happening now?

This post has been edited by quakethatcar: Jul 3 2010, 06:54 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wiseoracle
post Jul 3 2010, 07:31 AM
Post #2

2g Pimps

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 2719
2010 Dodge Challenger
SRT8 Coupe
6.1L V8 / Tremec 6 Speed
Red

If it were a bad wave ring, your car wouldn't be moving any any gear. It's like putting your car in neutral and being able to rev but not do a damn thing.

+Quote Post
quakethatcar
post Jul 4 2010, 12:00 AM
Post #3

2002 DODGE Stratus r/t
r/t coupe
3.0l v6 / 5 spd manual
Pearl White

QUOTE (wiseoracle @ Jul 3 2010, 07:31 AM) *
If it were a bad wave ring, your car wouldn't be moving any any gear. It's like putting your car in neutral and being able to rev but not do a damn thing.

hummm, k, well the previous owners seemed to think its gummed up, after the last pump went. and said whoever put the pump in didnt change the fluid....
and if im not mistaken the pump is inside the trans, why wouldnt you change the fluid

fluid seems rather thick when i pulled the dipstick, i wonder if its even the right kind, ill prolly flush it and see from there...

+Quote Post
wiseoracle
post Jul 4 2010, 07:09 AM
Post #4

2g Pimps

2010 Dodge Challenger
SRT8 Coupe
6.1L V8 / Tremec 6 Speed
Red

QUOTE (quakethatcar @ Jul 4 2010, 03:00 AM) *
hummm, k, well the previous owners seemed to think its gummed up, after the last pump went. and said whoever put the pump in didnt change the fluid....
and if im not mistaken the pump is inside the trans, why wouldnt you change the fluid

fluid seems rather thick when i pulled the dipstick, i wonder if its even the right kind, ill prolly flush it and see from there...

Should be a fairly transparent red. If it's a dark-brownish red, it needs to be changed.

When you check it, make sure the fluid is hot. Only way you can check it.

+Quote Post
quakethatcar
post Jul 4 2010, 07:15 AM
Post #5

2002 DODGE Stratus r/t
r/t coupe
3.0l v6 / 5 spd manual
Pearl White

ok heres an update, i started the car, it would only start in nuetral. put it into gear, revs and goes no where....

under the airbox is a white plate with a black metal toggle bracket, and a cable coming from it, as well as some wires that plug into it, this is the nuetral safety switch? when i shift gears the black toggle bracket does not move

it posted codes P0403 exhaust gas something, dont remember, it was blowing some white smoke, likely due to bad gas,

P0705 TRANSMISSION RANGE SENSOR A CIRCUIT PRNDL

i had a short talk with the mechanic who worked on the car, he said the car was in and out of all the gears...

on a side note, cruise control light is on whenever you start the car, and i overheated while i had it running, tho i was revving the motor a lil to see if i could get it going....

+Quote Post
quakethatcar
post Jul 4 2010, 07:17 AM
Post #6

2002 DODGE Stratus r/t
r/t coupe
3.0l v6 / 5 spd manual
Pearl White

QUOTE (wiseoracle @ Jul 4 2010, 08:09 AM) *
Should be a fairly transparent red. If it's a dark-brownish red, it needs to be changed.

When you check it, make sure the fluid is hot. Only way you can check it.

yeah this is darkred, but not brown, but definitely darker than my intrepids atf+4 when i pull the stick, and has a much stronger, non burnt smell

+Quote Post
wiseoracle
post Jul 4 2010, 07:41 AM
Post #7

2g Pimps

2010 Dodge Challenger
SRT8 Coupe
6.1L V8 / Tremec 6 Speed
Red

Cruise control light is normal.

My rebuilt transmission came with a 3 year warranty. If yours was worked on, I would assume there would be one. Seems like you just need to take it in, not much you can do on your end.

+Quote Post
quakethatcar
post Jul 4 2010, 07:46 AM
Post #8

2002 DODGE Stratus r/t
r/t coupe
3.0l v6 / 5 spd manual
Pearl White

QUOTE (wiseoracle @ Jul 4 2010, 08:41 AM) *
Cruise control light is normal.

My rebuilt transmission came with a 3 year warranty. If yours was worked on, I would assume there would be one. Seems like you just need to take it in, not much you can do on your end.

prev owner had it worked on and had no warranty.... im looking all over the net and what im seeing is to replace the NSS, and prolly flush the trans and put new fluid in to boot. then cross my fingers...

+Quote Post
quakethatcar
post Jul 8 2010, 02:38 PM
Post #9

2002 DODGE Stratus r/t
r/t coupe
3.0l v6 / 5 spd manual
Pearl White

OK def no warranty on this trans, Transmission and motor were swapped from an eclipse, without a doubt....infact a large number of parts i can only get from mitsubishi directly, furthermore, whoever did the oil pump did not change out the transmission fluid that was in the torque converter....

i am told the funny smell i smell when i smell the transmission fluid is because its hella old... doing a pressure test and fluid flush over the next day or so, then pulling the pan off to have a look at the valve body...

+Quote Post
whiteout
post Jul 8 2010, 04:08 PM
Post #10

Please excuse the typos, I'm not used to the straight jacket

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 1027
2001 Stratus R/T
R/T Coupe
3.0 V6 / Autostick
Satin White

I'm not buying the trans fluid was not changed when, or if, the front pump was done. The converter goes on the input shaft right behind the converter and once you take it off, it will dump MOST of the fluid in it. To get the car moving EVER again they would have HAD to put more new fluid in it. If they put the wrong kind of fluid in it, you're pretty much fucked, because it probably destroyed the clutches and bands, which is the main ingredient to getting an automatic trans to work. If they didn't give him a warranty on the trans when any work was done to it, the shop didn't know what the hell they were doing to it. Trans abuse or misassembly is INCREDIBLY easy to prove once it's apart and someone that knows what to look for sees it. It sounds incredibly easy to see this dope that "worked" on it had not a single clue how to do it correctly.
Decent trans shops won't let the car leave unless it's perfect no matter what it costs, because then they don't have to deal with comebacks, which they make no money on. If it's out and on their benchtop, they may as well replace every part that could fail to avoid it, getting it out in the first place is the hard part.
Honestly, if you can't find a good trans shop near you, buy a junkyard trans and put it in. A cheap,mickey mouse shop will cost you thousands in return business due to failures.
There are enough Strats and Eclipses in wrecking yards now, that getting good used parts for them is easy.
You can TRY changing the fluid and see if it gets you anything, but the trans is probably mortally wounded now, take it out of battle and send in reinforcements

+Quote Post
quakethatcar
post Jul 8 2010, 10:27 PM
Post #11

2002 DODGE Stratus r/t
r/t coupe
3.0l v6 / 5 spd manual
Pearl White

QUOTE (whiteout @ Jul 8 2010, 05:08 PM) *
I'm not buying the trans fluid was not changed when, or if, the front pump was done. The converter goes on the input shaft right behind the converter and once you take it off, it will dump MOST of the fluid in it. To get the car moving EVER again they would have HAD to put more new fluid in it. If they put the wrong kind of fluid in it, you're pretty much fucked, because it probably destroyed the clutches and bands, which is the main ingredient to getting an automatic trans to work. If they didn't give him a warranty on the trans when any work was done to it, the shop didn't know what the hell they were doing to it. Trans abuse or misassembly is INCREDIBLY easy to prove once it's apart and someone that knows what to look for sees it. It sounds incredibly easy to see this dope that "worked" on it had not a single clue how to do it correctly.
Decent trans shops won't let the car leave unless it's perfect no matter what it costs, because then they don't have to deal with comebacks, which they make no money on. If it's out and on their benchtop, they may as well replace every part that could fail to avoid it, getting it out in the first place is the hard part.
Honestly, if you can't find a good trans shop near you, buy a junkyard trans and put it in. A cheap,mickey mouse shop will cost you thousands in return business due to failures.
There are enough Strats and Eclipses in wrecking yards now, that getting good used parts for them is easy.
You can TRY changing the fluid and see if it gets you anything, but the trans is probably mortally wounded now, take it out of battle and send in reinforcements

yeah, im just trying to see what i can do to get it going first, before i spend 1500 on swapping a new trans.... but since its costs me little to no money to pull it out and check it myself, and or swap some fluid.... but a fluid change is more or less as far as im prolly gonna go anyways before i swap it out.... would be nice to not have to buy a new trans, tho its looking like thats whats gonna happen

+Quote Post
quakethatcar
post Jul 9 2010, 08:39 AM
Post #12

2002 DODGE Stratus r/t
r/t coupe
3.0l v6 / 5 spd manual
Pearl White

sooo,pulled the hose off the cooler to start a transmission fluid change, and.... a little bit of fluid dumped out but when i started it and put it into neutral.... no preasure.... i pulled the plug on the bottom of teh trans.... fluid is a very deep red.....andon the bottom of the plug is what seems like graphite all over it.... possibly from it sitting, and what ever additive they put in it....

is there a solonoid or something to get the fluid pumping?

still according to prev owner the pump was changed lol... about to call this guy and ask him exactly where it was done....

+Quote Post
wiseoracle
post Jul 9 2010, 12:21 PM
Post #13

2g Pimps

2010 Dodge Challenger
SRT8 Coupe
6.1L V8 / Tremec 6 Speed
Red

QUOTE (quakethatcar @ Jul 9 2010, 11:39 AM) *
sooo,pulled the hose off the cooler to start a transmission fluid change, and.... a little bit of fluid dumped out but when i started it and put it into neutral.... no preasure.... i pulled the plug on the bottom of teh trans.... fluid is a very deep red.....andon the bottom of the plug is what seems like graphite all over it.... possibly from it sitting, and what ever additive they put in it....

is there a solonoid or something to get the fluid pumping?

still according to prev owner the pump was changed lol... about to call this guy and ask him exactly where it was done....

That "graphite" is actually metal shavings from the trans. The metal plug acts as a magnet.

+Quote Post
quakethatcar
post Jul 10 2010, 07:30 AM
Post #14

2002 DODGE Stratus r/t
r/t coupe
3.0l v6 / 5 spd manual
Pearl White

so im currently trying to aquire a transmission, found one in driving disntance... prolly gonna fool around with the current trans see if i can get the car to move...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2014 - 04:24 AM