Post #1

2g Pimps

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 4018
2012 Nissan Maxima
SV Sedan
VQ35DE / CVT
Pearl White

Recently, when I start my car in the morning, I press the clutch pedal in, start it, and release the clutch pedal when in neutral. When I release it, I hear a whining noise. Its only audible when its first turned on and revving at 1500rpms or so. When the rpms drop, the noise goes away.

When driving and shifting through the gears, I have a whine that increases with engine rpms. It doesnt this through all 5 gears. It causes no drive-ability issues, its just annoying, and seems to have gotten worse over the past few months. The transmission shifts great, and the clutch doesnt slip at all.

If I accelerate, and then release my foot off the gas pedal, the noise stops, but is instant when I touch the gas pedal again.

Transmission/Clutch has 109,000 miles on it (stock clutch) and I changed the gear oil out 2 years ago. I recently checked it, and it was still full.

So, what do you think it is? Time for a new clutch? Input shaft bearing bad? Other internal issue?

If in fact it is the Input shaft bearing, am I going to have to open the transmission up?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SleeperStratus02
post Jan 12 2010, 07:02 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 4944
2002 Dodge Stratus
RT Coupe
3.L SOHC / 5 speed
Dark Titanium

QUOTE (Pearl01stratcpe @ Jan 12 2010, 07:00 PM) *
Recently, when I start my car in the morning, I press the clutch pedal in, start it, and release the clutch pedal when in neutral. When I release it, I hear a whining noise. Its only audible when its first turned on and revving at 1500rpms or so. When the rpms drop, the noise goes away.

When driving and shifting through the gears, I have a whine that increases with engine rpms. It doesnt this through all 5 gears. It causes no drive-ability issues, its just annoying, and seems to have gotten worse over the past few months. The transmission shifts great, and the clutch doesnt slip at all.

If I accelerate, and then release my foot off the gas pedal, the noise stops, but is instant when I touch the gas pedal again.

Transmission/Clutch has 109,000 miles on it (stock clutch) and I changed the gear oil out 2 years ago. I recently checked it, and it was still full.

So, what do you think it is? Time for a new clutch? Input shaft bearing bad? Other internal issue?

If in fact it is the Input shaft bearing, am I going to have to open the transmission up?

This is very interesting because this is the same symptoms my transmission has, Its not the clutch or throw out bearing since I have had 2 upgraded ones since because of my HP, and it made the same noise when the new one went in. I woulden't worry about it.

Did it just suddenly start to make the noise? Because it did for me I was just driving along at 55 mph and heard a wierd pop, or ping sound and after that I am hearing the same anoying noise that you are describing but I can only hear it if the radio and fan is off.

+Quote Post
Pearl01stratcpe
post Jan 13 2010, 02:21 AM
Post #3

2g Pimps

2012 Nissan Maxima
SV Sedan
VQ35DE / CVT
Pearl White

The first time I noticed it was after I came back home from vacation. I put my radio faceplate in the house, and couldnt find it for a week. Driving to work I noticed a whiirring noise, and since then (August) is has gotten louder. I can hear it over the radio now.

+Quote Post
SleeperStratus02
post Jan 13 2010, 06:59 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 4944
2002 Dodge Stratus
RT Coupe
3.L SOHC / 5 speed
Dark Titanium

hmm, well maybe then the output shaft bearings from the trans? Or maybe the throw out bearing? Try jacking up the front end and let the tires spin at a speed where the noise is noticeable and see if you can locate the noise.

+Quote Post
MagnaVR4
post Jan 27 2010, 01:22 PM
Post #5

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 5345
01 Chrysler Sebring
SRT Coupe
3.8L 6G75 / 5spd

Sounds to me like its the throw out bearing, my 3kgt had that problem clutch and all was great! but the TOB was defective so pulled the tranny changed the TOB and it was fine

This post has been edited by MagnaVR4: Jan 27 2010, 01:25 PM

+Quote Post
Pearl01stratcpe
post Jan 27 2010, 01:32 PM
Post #6

2g Pimps

2012 Nissan Maxima
SV Sedan
VQ35DE / CVT
Pearl White

When the clutch pedal is pushed in its fine. When its released it makes the noise. On the 4 cyl there is only load on the TOB when the clutch pedal is pushed.

+Quote Post
whiteout
post Jan 27 2010, 04:30 PM
Post #7

Please excuse the typos, I'm not used to the straight jacket

Member No.: 1027
2001 Stratus R/T
R/T Coupe
3.0 V6 / Autostick
Satin White

If the throwout bearing is shot it won't matter if it's under load or not, it's always going to whine whether YOU hear it or not, when you push the clutch pedal in you are putting the bearing under tension and closing the gaps causing the noise. If you have to change the throwout bearing, you'd be dumb to not do a whole clutch kit and flywheel resurface at that point, it's a little more work, but at that point you're pretty commited anyway

+Quote Post
AllEur0.
post Jan 30 2010, 11:03 AM
Post #8

Human Encyclopedia

Member No.: 2117
2000 Jeep Wrangler
vert
4.0L / 5sp
Patriot Blue

bad bearings always make more noise when they're spinning without a load, because the load engages the rollers more. My Jeep's rear pinion bearing and t-case bearings are making noise and it's only when I'm coasting downhill. When I'm powering on them, quiet as a baby. TOB ftw.

+Quote Post
Pearl01stratcpe
post Jan 30 2010, 11:42 AM
Post #9

2g Pimps

2012 Nissan Maxima
SV Sedan
VQ35DE / CVT
Pearl White

QUOTE (AllEur0. @ Jan 30 2010, 05:03 PM) *
bad bearings always make more noise when they're spinning without a load, because the load engages the rollers more. My Jeep's rear pinion bearing and t-case bearings are making noise and it's only when I'm coasting downhill. When I'm powering on them, quiet as a baby. TOB ftw.

Im not ruling the TOB out because Im sure it does need changed, but my car does the exact opposite.

When Im accelerating it whines/whirrrs, and if I let off the gas/coast its silent.

Maybe with income tax Ill buy a new clutch kit. I dread the install though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
dmg88
post Jan 30 2010, 07:50 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 5298
2002 Dodge Stratus
SXT Coupe
2.4L / 5-Speed
Ice Silver

QUOTE (Pearl01stratcpe @ Jan 30 2010, 04:42 PM) *
Im not ruling the TOB out because Im sure it does need changed, but my car does the exact opposite.

When Im accelerating it whines/whirrrs, and if I let off the gas/coast its silent.

Maybe with income tax Ill buy a new clutch kit. I dread the install though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I don't blame you. I changed my clutch in a friends driveway and it was a bitch. The transaxle got hung up on everything possible. From what I've been told however if you have a lift it's easy but I still have my doubts. Putting it all back in was almost harder than taking it all apart. Getting the engine at the right angle for the transaxle to mate up with it about drove me insane

+Quote Post
AllEur0.
post Jan 30 2010, 09:36 PM
Post #11

Human Encyclopedia

Member No.: 2117
2000 Jeep Wrangler
vert
4.0L / 5sp
Patriot Blue

QUOTE (Pearl01stratcpe @ Jan 30 2010, 10:42 AM) *

That sounds like internal transmission bearings to me...but I haven't done anything to this car so I'm a stranger to its little mechanical nuances.

This post has been edited by AllEur0.: Jan 30 2010, 09:36 PM

+Quote Post
wiseoracle
post Jan 31 2010, 08:43 AM
Post #12

2g Pimps

Member No.: 2719
2010 Dodge Challenger
SRT8 Coupe
6.1L V8 / Tremec 6 Speed
Red

Might be a good idea to rent a garage with a lift. Could save you a few headaches.

+Quote Post
Pearl01stratcpe
post Jan 31 2010, 11:43 AM
Post #13

2g Pimps

2012 Nissan Maxima
SV Sedan
VQ35DE / CVT
Pearl White

QUOTE (wiseoracle @ Jan 31 2010, 02:43 PM) *
Might be a good idea to rent a garage with a lift. Could save you a few headaches.

A lift would definitely make this job easier. Hell I might go crazy and just pull the engine and transmission out together. That way i can do the timing belt without fighting 2" of work space. I can bolt the engine and trans and put them in together, rather than fight just the transmission into place.

+Quote Post
whiteout
post Jan 31 2010, 03:20 PM
Post #14

2001 Stratus R/T
R/T Coupe
3.0 V6 / Autostick
Satin White

QUOTE (Pearl01stratcpe @ Jan 31 2010, 02:43 PM) *
A lift would definitely make this job easier. Hell I might go crazy and just pull the engine and transmission out together. That way i can do the timing belt without fighting 2" of work space. I can bolt the engine and trans and put them in together, rather than fight just the transmission into place.

That's actually a spectacular idea if you're going to get all that accomplished, it's just most people are scared of pulling engines and won't do it, but it's just a few more bolts and it makes all the jobs incredibly easier !!

+Quote Post
Pearl01stratcpe
post Feb 13 2010, 02:45 PM
Post #15

2g Pimps

2012 Nissan Maxima
SV Sedan
VQ35DE / CVT
Pearl White

I talked to the owner of a transmission shop in my town. He was nice enough to to stop what he was working on and check my car out. From what he can tell, its something lower in the transmission. Not the TOB or the input shaft bearing, but something else; I think iys connected to the differential.

I asked him roughly what it would cost for a rebuild, and he told me it would be cheaper to find a low mileage used transmission. I know he does good work, and he was very straight forward and honest with me, so I might let him do his thing in the spring while I have the bike for a daily driver.

+Quote Post
whiteout
post Feb 13 2010, 02:54 PM
Post #16

2001 Stratus R/T
R/T Coupe
3.0 V6 / Autostick
Satin White

QUOTE (Pearl01stratcpe @ Feb 13 2010, 05:45 PM) *
I talked to the owner of a transmission shop in my town. He was nice enough to to stop what he was working on and check my car out. From what he can tell, its something lower in the transmission. Not the TOB or the input shaft bearing, but something else; I think iys connected to the differential.

I asked him roughly what it would cost for a rebuild, and he told me it would be cheaper to find a low mileage used transmission. I know he does good work, and he was very straight forward and honest with me, so I might let him do his thing in the spring while I have the bike for a daily driver.

If Eric (OuttaFokus) ever shows up again you could try him, he's supposedly parting out his 5 spped RT, I know his car is over 100K miles, but you might get the parts cheap

+Quote Post
Pearl01stratcpe
post Feb 13 2010, 03:34 PM
Post #17

2g Pimps

2012 Nissan Maxima
SV Sedan
VQ35DE / CVT
Pearl White

I have the 4cyl, I dont think it uses the same transmission as the V6

+Quote Post
Pearl01stratcpe
post Oct 15 2012, 05:17 AM
Post #18

2g Pimps

2012 Nissan Maxima
SV Sedan
VQ35DE / CVT
Pearl White

After 2.5 years, im finally pulling the transmission to fix this. 138,500 miles now. The noise is horrible (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Im expecting to see a bearing missing half the balls.

+Quote Post
gd1996
post Oct 18 2012, 03:20 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 4669
2004 Dodge Stratus
RT coupe
3.0 / 5 speed
Burgundy

QUOTE (Pearl01stratcpe @ Oct 15 2012, 09:17 AM) *
After 2.5 years, im finally pulling the transmission to fix this. 138,500 miles now. The noise is horrible (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Im expecting to see a bearing missing half the balls.

Let us know what you find out. My car has sat a year waiting on a clutch and mine would make noise with the pedal up and in nuetral... push in and went away and didn't hear it while driving. I assumed to bearing and I guess I'll know soon, but could be the input shaft bearing.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2017 - 08:25 AM