post Nov 10 2009, 09:42 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4577
2001 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
3.0L / Auto-stick
Red

I've done a search for lifter replacement and nothing came up. I'm replacing the bad (ticking) lifter's on my 3.0L 01' stratus. I gotta put a new rear valve cover gasket on and since i'm back there i'm gonna replace the bad lifter(s). Has Anyone attemped this? Anyone know of any special tools? I believe i can just compress the valve spring and swap lifters but i wanna know if there is anything i'm missing.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
neo-blue-pyro16
post Nov 10 2009, 11:35 AM
Post #2

neo-blue-pyro16

Member No.: 4509
2003 Dodge Stratus
SXT Coupe
4 Cyl 2.4L / Automatic
Light blue

are u positive its the lifter? just make sure you get it torqued back down properly. might even just be a loose lifter. never know.

+Quote Post
Pearl01stratcpe
post Nov 10 2009, 01:19 PM
Post #3

2g Pimps

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 4018
2001 Dodge Stratus
SE Coupe
4G64 / Manual
Pearl White

Its probably just your lash adjusters ticking.

+Quote Post
matand
post Nov 11 2009, 06:26 AM
Post #4

2001 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
3.0L / Auto-stick
Red

It is my lash adjuster ticking. It ticks on cold starts and then starts to go away completly. I'm just annoyed with it and since i gotta tear off the rear valve cover to replace the valve cover gasket, i'm gonna replace and/or clean the dirty or broken lifter. I have found out that i gotta tear off the rocker arm rail as a unit and that usually the lifter is just dirty. I also found out i gotta use a 3 step cleaning process and fill the lifters with diesel when done. But i think i'm just gonna get all new lifters since the car has 160,000 miles. I was just curious if there was any special proceedure to tear off the rocker arm assy. I work at a honda dealership so i get parts at wholesale and i'm gonna ask around and see what the techs say. But any info from anyone that has done this would be awesome.

+Quote Post
wiseoracle
post Nov 11 2009, 08:35 AM
Post #5

2g Pimps

Member No.: 2719
2010 Dodge Challenger
SRT8 Coupe
6.1L V8 / Tremec 6 Speed
Red

Well good luck on it and let us know how you did it.

+Quote Post
matand
post Nov 11 2009, 09:00 AM
Post #6

2001 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
3.0L / Auto-stick
Red

Yea i'll def. post a detailed report on how to do it, since this seems to be a common problem. It shouldn't be to bad to do, atleast i hope not. I did go to school for automotive technology/ engineering. I just know each car is different and they have certain do's and don't and i don't have a service manuel for this car. I'm either doin it this weekend or the next.

+Quote Post
Pearl01stratcpe
post Nov 11 2009, 12:27 PM
Post #7

2g Pimps

Member No.: 4018
2001 Dodge Stratus
SE Coupe
4G64 / Manual
Pearl White

I had a link for a how to before my computer crashed on me. It showed how you can use a screwdriver to pivot the lifter, and pop the lash adjuster out. Then you use a paper clip to empty all the oil out, then you flush it with something. Try to google it maybe? Theres a how to out there.

+Quote Post
matand
post Nov 11 2009, 01:14 PM
Post #8

2001 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
3.0L / Auto-stick
Red

See thats what i figured i could do. It seems the lifters are very tiny and the sit recessed into the rocker arm and then ofcourse they rest on top of the valve stem. I don't see why i couldn't just compress the valve spring enough with a screwdriver or two just to get enough room to pop it out. Yea your supposed to clean out the lifter with this little .5mm brush by depressing the check valve inside the lifter and cleaning out the residue. Then your supposed to fill a bucket or pan with clean diesel fuel till it covers the lifters and depress the check valve till it fills it up and release the check valve ball and check and make sure its solid or doesn't have any movement in it. But since the lifters are only like $16 a piece i might just replace all 12 in the rear cylinder bank. I guess i could also just replace the motor since i found one from one of our local vendors we deal with for $600 with only 18,000 miles on it. plus it comes with a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty and the one tech would do it for $200. I would attempt it myself but i don't have a garage to do it anymore. Just some food for thought. But thanks for the info i'll check it out and see what i come up with. Plus i'll post some pictures of the procedure and some details when completed.

+Quote Post
matand
post Jan 21 2010, 02:37 PM
Post #9

2001 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
3.0L / Auto-stick
Red

OK!!! I did it finally, replaced the lifters and my motor sounds sooo sweeet! No more F*cking ticking. It wasn't to bad, the hardest part was getting a little valve cover bolt back in. So this is basically how you do it. First remove the battery and tray and get the intake outta the way so you can get to the rear valve cover if its in the rear bank ofcourse, the front valve cover is much easier. The intake and exhaust rockers are on shafts which are held on by 12mm bolts. I put down shop towels around the valvesprings and oil passages so the lifters wouldn't fall down in the cylinder head and or block. I also used super strong magnets to hold the lifters in the rocker arms( i know pretty smart on my part). The exhaust rocker arms have NO spacer springs the intake rocker arms DO. Start in the middle of the rocker shaft untightening the bolts a little at a time since there IS pressure on the rocker arms. And work them a little at a time. DO NOT take one bolt out at a time as this will bend the rocker shaft. Once all the bolts are out, lift the rocker shaft and rocker arms out as a assembly. Simply pull the old lifters out with a pair of pliers and pitch them away. Ofcourse check and make sure they come out whole as i ran into a problem with them coming out into two parts because they were destroyed( I had 4 bad lifters in the rear cylinder head). Now i used lucas heavy duty oil stabilzer as a assembly lube. I put the lucas oil in the lifters and around because the stuff is so sticky it will help hold the lifters when reinstalling them in the rocker arms. Make sure you put them in exactly how you took them out EXACTLY!!! There should be no reason to disassemble the rocker shaft. And make sure the rocker shaft didn't turn 180 degrees in the rocker arms, so that when you put back in the rocker shaft it is not upside down. This is VERY important. Simply set the rocker shaft and rockers in making sure the lifters are resting on the valvesprings and everything lines up. You shouldn't have to force anything into place it should literally fall into place. The only thing different with the intake side with the spacer springs is that there is a little force pushing the rockers out so they don't creep in. I had a little trouble trying to compress all the rocker arms so the shaft slid down into place on the shaft towers. Put the bolts back in, snuggling them up by hand. Torque the bolts to 30ft-lbs and start from the inner part of the rocker shaft tightening out a little bit at a time. Remember you don't wanna risk bending the rocker shaft as this will cause serious problems. I poured the rest of the lucas oil stabilzer on the cams and rocker shafts and all moving parts to min. dry start. Then reassemble. The new lifters will tick pretty loud for approx 20mins till they become primed. Any questions you know where to reach me. And if you live close to York,Pa i'll even help you out for a few bucks.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 09:47 AM