post Nov 4 2008, 03:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4831
2001 Chrysler Sebring
LXi Coupe
3.0 liter / 5-speed
Blue

Hey guys I have looked through service information and there aren't any service bulletins on this issue and I can't find any answers on it. So I figured before I got out the wiring diagrams and the multimeter I'd see if this has happened to anyone else.

The turn signals and the 4 way flashers/hazard lights are no longer working. Also The battery light and and BRAKE light came on. And thankfully I have a volt gauge in my car because I noticed my battery is being overcharged at almost 16 volts any time the car is running.

Now all of these things happened all at one. I came home one night and the next morning I started the car and all of this had happened. I don't know if theyre all related or its somehow to mishaps at once.

I know the Regulator for the alternator is in the PCM and I was wondering if there is some sort of timing circuit for the turn signals in the same PCM so if the computer went bad this is why all of this happened.

Service information says there is flasher unit in the center dash for the signals but I can not find it anywhere.

Another post I saw on wiki answers to a guy who was having the same problem and a 3g eclipse says that it might just be the hazard switch and everything runs through that.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lambo410
post Nov 4 2008, 04:23 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4052
2004 Dodge Stratus R/T
R/T Coupe
3.00 / 5spd
black

well the brake and battery light definitly mean some sort of charging system failure. but no clue about any of the other symptons

+Quote Post
Loud and Low Cus...
post Nov 7 2008, 04:51 AM
Post #3

2001 Chrysler Sebring
LXi Coupe
3.0 liter / 5-speed
Blue

Well I have been going through some diagnosing with my wiring diagrams and thing that the problem is in my etacs ecu. Has anyone else had problems with them before? I want to buy one if anyone has one to sell.

+Quote Post
Raceman71
post Nov 7 2008, 02:06 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4823
2001 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
3.0 / 5-Speed
Black

not to thread jack but my turn signals and wipers quit qorking today gonna look into it tomorrow

+Quote Post
shotgunefx
post Nov 8 2008, 06:45 AM
Post #5

is officially old

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1599
2002 Chrysler Sebring LXI
LXI Coupe
6G72 3.0 / Sporty
Dk Titanium Metallic

The turn/signals and hazard are all controlled by the ETAC-ECU on the back of the fuse box, the relays are inside that and technically not serviceable. They are not real "switches", more like buttons on a game controller. The turn signal switch has it's own little ECU (column ECU IIRC), I don't recall if the hazard goes through that, or directly into the ETACs and based on the inputs, the ETACs does what it does.

Since all of the ECUs share a communications bus, it may be a problem with that, or it could be as simple as a loose connection somewhere or in fact one of the ECUs are broken. They are all supposed to communicate on that signal "bus" one after the other, if one is bad, it could be writing to the bus as the wrong time.

(IMG:http://www.leeland.net/lib/leeland/st22graph.gif)

Get it scanned and see if it reports an error, there is a trouble code for it.

+Quote Post
Raceman71
post Nov 8 2008, 07:43 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 4823
2001 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
3.0 / 5-Speed
Black

seems to be my problem. now not only do my turn signal and wipers dont work (you can trun them on they just go at one speed), the sun roof dont automaticly open you have to hold the switch and you cannot turn on the headlights with out the key being on

+Quote Post
Loud and Low Cus...
post Nov 8 2008, 12:16 PM
Post #7

2001 Chrysler Sebring
LXi Coupe
3.0 liter / 5-speed
Blue

I looked at the wiring diagrams at work and since they are both not working so it has to be etacs related. But what else does the etacs control because all of my other accesories still work. The only other problem is my alternator is overcharging.

The other thing I was wondering is does our cars use a mechanical flasher still? If so where EXACLTLY is it because there isn't one in the wiring diagram but service information just says its in the center of the dash which is really vague. If that was bad that would explain it too

The wierd part is how it all happened at once. The etacs doesn't control the charging system does it? I didn't think to look at that wiring diagram

This post has been edited by Loud and Low Custom: Nov 8 2008, 03:24 PM

+Quote Post
shotgunefx
post Nov 9 2008, 11:31 PM
Post #8

is officially old

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1599
2002 Chrysler Sebring LXI
LXI Coupe
6G72 3.0 / Sporty
Dk Titanium Metallic

QUOTE (Loud and Low Custom @ Nov 8 2008, 02:16 PM) *
I looked at the wiring diagrams at work and since they are both not working so it has to be etacs related. But what else does the etacs control because all of my other accesories still work. The only other problem is my alternator is overcharging.

The other thing I was wondering is does our cars use a mechanical flasher still? If so where EXACLTLY is it because there isn't one in the wiring diagram but service information just says its in the center of the dash which is really vague. If that was bad that would explain it too

The wierd part is how it all happened at once. The etacs doesn't control the charging system does it? I didn't think to look at that wiring diagram

No manual flasher. It's relays soldered to the inside of the Etacs. But the Etacs controls the door locks, trunk, hooked to the seatbelts etc as well. It might be as simple as one of the items in the loop is talking over another. Since they all are supposed to communicate in serial, if the timing is off on one of those ecus, it will garble the rest. Or it could be a loose harness or a short somewhere.

The charging system does hook to the PCM module it looks like.

Did you get it scanned? If not, you really should before you try replacing things. If you look at the service manual on club3g, most, if not all of the SWS stuff from the Eclipse manual will be applicable to ours.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2014 - 09:09 PM