Post #1

I drive a dodge stratus!

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 4463
2004 Dodge Stratus
R/T coupe-r/t
V6 / 3.0
RED

if you have done it and do or dont have pics. please list here on where the drain is. thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JoeKamel
post Feb 2 2008, 01:46 AM
Post #2

B5 > *

Member No.: 3273
2003 Dodge Stratus
RT Coupe
6G72 / Automatic
Caffe Latte

From Black3G on C3G:

QUOTE (Black3G)
HOW TO: Flush/Change Coolant
Presented to you by Black3gGT

NOTE:
Please read the next post before attempting this How-To

I will get a little more detailed for some of you "unexperianced" members. Happy reading and good luck!

Alright, first off I would suggest searching for some service manual pages on neweclipse.org. The pictures will assist you with understanding where the things I am explaining are. Sorry no pics because I have no digicam.

First, make sure the car is cold or at least cool. It should not be driven for a couple of hours before you attempt to flush the system. If the car is warm when you try to flush the coolant, you can severely burn yourself with extremely hot, escaping coolant gasses.

Then, you must remove the radiator cap of the top front side of the engine bay. It will have a caution warning on the top of it. MAKE SURE THE CAR IS COLD. This is where there can be some seriously hot gas release. Even if the car is cold, keep your face and any other body part away from the top of the cap area for safety assurance.

Now, remove the radiator drain plug, which is located on the bottom left side of the radiator. This is right in front of the engine (has two fans connected to its back) bay and looks sort of like an intercooler for a turbo car. Essentially, the radiator is attached to the whole backside (under the hood) of the front bumper. The drain plug is white and has a butterfly back to it. You can see it if you go underneath the front, passenger side, wheel well of the car. Before you remove it, put a catch basin under the plug's hole. This is where all the coolant will come out from.

Now, remove the reserve tank (where you would normally add extra coolant if needed) from the car. Just pull it up and the reservoir should come right off. After you remove it, drain the contents and reinstall the tank and its connecting hoses.

Now, you must "flush" the system. Take a garden hose and place the nozzle into the hole from which you removed the radiator cap. Turn on the water to the hose and start the car. Continue doing this until you see pure, clear water exiting from the drain plug's hole. At this point, the coolant has been flushed. You may want to keep the car running for a couple of minutes and then repeat this step, with some more garden hose action, in order to totally drain the system.

After you have flushed, reinstall the butterfly drain plug on the bottom left side of the radiator. Then fill the hole where the radiator cap goes, with the required amount of coolant (check your owners manual; amount varies on engine type of car but always make sure you use 50% water and 50% coolant). All in all, you should always "top off" the amount of coolant/water mixture that you put into the radiator. Put the radiator cap back on firmly. Fill the reserve tank with some, not alot, of coolant (a little under the low marker).

Make sure everything you took off has been reinstalled by this point. EVERYTHING. Start the car and rev it, to about 3000 rpm's, repeatedly. You may also drive the car around for a little. I prefer to drive it hard in that this prevents any air pockets from forming in the coolant lines. Shut off the car and check the reserve tank. Fill the coolant level, in the reserve tank, between the low and high markers.

YOU ARE DONE!

Hope this all helps.

Safe Driving…

QUOTE (Black3G)
Important NOTE:

It has been brought to my attention that the procedure outlined is not the best nor is it the cleanest way of flushing the radiator. To get an idea of how to properly flush the radiator, eslai pointed to the following site:

http://www.rx7turboturbo.com/robrobinette/flush.htm

Note that this flush was done on a Mazda RX-7. The correct amount of coolant capacity listed in the 2000+ FSM is 8.5 quarts for the 3.0L engine and 7.4 quarts for the 2.4L Engine.

Here's the article by Rob Robinette

-------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need 1 gallon of antifreeze and 2 gallons of distilled (not mineral) water. You can get the water from the grocery store for about $3. You will also need a Phillips head screwdriver, a 2 gallon bucket, a cloth rag and a funnel.

The coolant system capacity is 9.3 US quarts (2 gallons, 1.3 quarts) and you won't be able to drain that last 1.3 quarts of coolant so 1 gallon of antifreeze and 1 gallon of water will give you about a 55% antifreeze to water ratio. This percentage will give you max protection from freezing, down to -40 degrees F. If you don't need that much freeze protection 35% antifreeze will protect you down to 3 degrees F and will actually cool the car more efficiently.

Warning: Don't try to drain the coolant system unless the car is really cool or you may get burned. Start by relieving the pressure by opening the coolant cap on the engine (not on the plastic overfill tank). Then put the cap back on to minimize the amount of fluid that will drain onto your hand when you remove the plug. The drain plug is in the bottom of the radiator and is accessible from beneath the car (you may have to raise the front end). There is a 1 inch round hole in the plastic engine bay floor pan about 1 foot from the spoiler and near the center line of the car (it's the only round hole I saw). Completely remove the drain plug, put the bucket in place and then remove both coolant caps to help the system drain. Warning: Antifreeze smells and tastes great to animals and it will kill them, don't leave this stuff lying around. Take it to a recycling station.

Flush out the system by pouring in about a half of a gallon of distilled water. Wait for it to drain and reinstall the plug. If you want to really flush out the system then fill it with distilled water, replace the radiator cap and run the engine for about 3 minutes with the heater on full hot and then drain it again. If you do the double flush you will need another 2 gallons of water. Add the water and antifreeze to get between 35% - 55% antifreeze. I recommend alternating between the two fluids because you can't be sure how much fluid will actually be needed to fill the system. You can minimize the air bubbles in the system by gently squeezing and pulsing the large diameter coolant hose that runs by the right side of the intercooler. Check the fluid level in your overflow tank (white tank near the front right wheel). The only way to replace it's fuel is to suck the fluid out or remove the fender wheel liner and take out the tank. I just added some water and coolant to get the level close to the F line on the dipstick.

IMPORTANT: You must "burp" the coolant system. Run the car for a about three minutes (don't drive it yet because you may be low on coolant) and shut it down. Put a rag over the engine coolant cap and open it up, pulse the big coolant hose, and top it off. You will need to do this several times. The first time you drive it take some water with you because you may get the "Add Coolant" buzzer and you don't want to drive the car for more than about 30 seconds with the buzzer on. Remove the radiator cap and top off the coolant level before you drive the car for the next three drives and you will have a well purged coolant system.

Rob Robinette
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
04dodgestratusr/...
post Feb 2 2008, 02:08 AM
Post #3

I drive a dodge stratus!

Member No.: 4463
2004 Dodge Stratus
R/T coupe-r/t
V6 / 3.0