Post #1

2g Pimps

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 4018
2001 Dodge Stratus
SE Coupe
4G64 / Manual
Pearl White

There are about 3 threads total on this subject, and theyre about 1 year and a half old so....

I know there arent many members on the board with the 2.4, and the 3.0 doesnt have coil packs, but im hoping some of the more experienced guys can help.
Around october i did a tune up which consisted of an oil change and spark plug change. I didnt know how old they were, so i figured it wouldnt hurt to change them. A few days after the swap, i got a jerking/bumping when i was at low rpms whether i was just starting out, or cruising in too low of a gear. finally my check engine light went off and i went out and got an OBD2 scanner. P302 was the code. it was either the coil pack or a misgapped plug. I regapped all the plugs and switched coil packs, and reset the light. On my way to work, the light went on again. Code P304. I know i already checked spark plugs, so it was the coil pack. I went out and got one and the car ran great for about a week. Then i got code P302 again: the one i didnt change. I went out and bought another coil pack. It has run great until now.

Could it be the spark plugs i used? Im not sure what brand i have currently. My wires were updated i believe, they are made by Belden. I bought both coil packs from Oreillys, and on the paperwork it says they have a lifetime warranty, but im not sure of the terms...

Any and all help is appreciated.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ViperMan
post Mar 22 2007, 03:29 PM
Post #2

11.1.08 - The VIPER has arrived

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 85
2000 Dodge Viper
GTS Coupe
8.0L V10 / 6-Speed
Black

Mileage?

You gotta help me out, 'cause I'm not sure exactly what the P302 304 codes are - aren't those misfire codes for cylinders 2 and 4? Okay the 2.7 is a 6cyl, so those are companion cylinders. I'd check for resistance across the actual wires that run to the coil - the control wires from the PCM. One coil fires both of those cylinders - the voltage charge fires through one spark plug, travels through the block, and grounds through the OTHER cylinder. So if you've got a recurring misfire from those two cylinders, then you're right to suspect the coil. However, if it keeps happening between those two, then I'm going to say that's not your problem.

Here's what I recommend - go to a Mitsubishi dealer and request a BG 3-Step Fuel Induction cleaning. BG's fuel-system cleaner is the best in the business. They will run a decarbonizing compound through the entire fuel system, cleaning out the fuel injectors, cylinders, combustion chambers and rails. They'll also clean the throttle body, and put in a tank system cleaner too. It might run you about 100 bucks, but they REALLY work - after they fire that car back up after running that shizz through - the car just SMOKES - it's burning out all that carbon. You'll notice a huge difference.

Of course if that doesn't work, then the coils you bought are defective.

Remind me what those codes are - I'll ask at work.

Jeff

This post has been edited by ViperMan: Mar 22 2007, 03:30 PM

+Quote Post
Pearl01stratcpe
post Mar 22 2007, 04:01 PM
Post #3

2g Pimps

2001 Dodge Stratus
SE Coupe
4G64 / Manual
Pearl White

The codes are misfire in cylinders 2 and 4. They didnt occur at the same time however. I just hit 67,000 miles. I also just changed my oil, but i dont think that would have an affect. Its not the 2.7 v6, its the 2.4 4cyl... or were you just using that as an example?
I dont know if it helps you, but here is a pic of the coil pack set-up.

(IMG:http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k100/Bekistan20/Photobucektcoils.jpg)
(IMG:http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k100/Bekistan20/photobucket2.jpg)

coil pack 2 goes to cyl 2 and 3 and coil pack 4 goes to cyl 4 and 1.

One of the old bad Coil Packs.
(IMG:http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k100/Bekistan20/DSCN0776-1.jpg)
Let me know if you need anymore info and thanks for your help (IMG:http://www.2gstratus.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
punkrocker3_00
post Mar 23 2007, 07:37 AM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 2544
2004 Dodge Stratus
SXT Coupe
2.4L / Auto
Deep Red

I had similar problems last spring I think. It never got to the point where I got a miss fire, but the car felt like it was when the AC was on and I hit the gas. I took it to the dealership and they replaced the coil packs and all was good after then.

+Quote Post
ViperMan
post Mar 23 2007, 10:38 AM
Post #5

11.1.08 - The VIPER has arrived

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 85
2000 Dodge Viper
GTS Coupe
8.0L V10 / 6-Speed
Black

Okay - I thought you said it was a 2.7.

So my whole thing about companion cylinders is null and void.

BUT, those cylinders are neighbors - 2 and 3. I'd run a compression test and see how that comes out - you could have a blown head gasket and you're losing compression. If not, then possibly the injectors as I mentioned before. Also, my buddy looked at those pics and said the wire to that right coil looks really stretched - shouldn't be that tight.

Jeff

+Quote Post
Pearl01stratcpe
post Apr 29 2007, 04:58 PM
Post #6

2g Pimps

2001 Dodge Stratus
SE Coupe
4G64 / Manual
Pearl White

Update... for those of you whom have this problem later on... It was my spark plugs. They were Platinum plugs, and i forget where, but i read that Platinum + these coil packs dont go well together. So, I bought regular, plain old plugs, and the problem is gone. (IMG:http://www.2gstratus.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
jwhite
post Jun 23 2008, 08:09 PM
Post #7

Just joined...

Member No.: 4582
2003 Dodge Stratus
SXT Coupe
2.4l 4cyl / Auto
Silver Ice

QUOTE (Pearl01stratcpe @ Apr 29 2007, 09:58 PM) *
Update... for those of you whom have this problem later on... It was my spark plugs. They were Platinum plugs, and i forget where, but i read that Platinum + these coil packs dont go well together. So, I bought regular, plain old plugs, and the problem is gone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

dag i wish i had read this before i changed my spark plugs this weekend i put plats in...

a problem i am having tho is i am loosing coolant... i had the radiator cap off and filled the radiator up and ran the car and once it got hot it dropped down and gushed out... the car runs ok... even better after changing the plugs... the only time it ran hot was a month or so ago when i had to replace the clamps on the upper radiator hose cause it was leaking... any ideas to why im losing coolant?

+Quote Post
dodgeboy
post Jun 26 2008, 07:28 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 4605
2004 Dodge Stratus
SXT Coupe
4 cyl / Auto
Maroon

QUOTE (jwhite @ Jun 23 2008, 09:09 PM) *
dag i wish i had read this before i changed my spark plugs this weekend i put plats in...

a problem i am having tho is i am loosing coolant... i had the radiator cap off and filled the radiator up and ran the car and once it got hot it dropped down and gushed out... the car runs ok... even better after changing the plugs... the only time it ran hot was a month or so ago when i had to replace the clamps on the upper radiator hose cause it was leaking... any ideas to why im losing coolant?

Blown head gasket between a water jacket and cylinder would cause you to burn it, a blown headgasket between oil passage and water jacket would make it end up in the oil pan..... take your radiator cap off and look for bubbles in the coolant, if you see them that is exhaust getting into the coolant system (blown head gasket), see if the exhaust smells "sweet" (antifreeze burning and causes white smoke) and they make an electronic "sniffer" for lack of a better tem that will detect CO2 by placing it over the radiator neck with the cap off and car running. Change your oil and see if there is antifreeze in it, a word of warning, when you mix anti freeze and oil it creates an "acid" type substance that dissolves soft metals (bearings) so check that soon.

+Quote Post
wiseoracle
post Jun 26 2008, 07:41 AM
Post #9

2g Pimps

Member No.: 2719
2010 Dodge Challenger
SRT8 Coupe
6.1L V8 / Tremec 6 Speed
Red

I lost coolant because of the crappy stock clamps.

When you replaced them, did you at least clean the end? Scrape off the old crusties, and then put back the hose?

I used the stock and a new one to make sure it stays tight.

If he blew a headgasket, he would be running into more problems then he is in now.

Like his coolant would be brownish.

+Quote Post
jwhite
post Jun 26 2008, 08:17 PM
Post #10

Just joined...

2003 Dodge Stratus
SXT Coupe
2.4l 4cyl / Auto
Silver Ice

QUOTE (wiseoracle @ Jun 26 2008, 11:41 AM) *
I lost coolant because of the crappy stock clamps.

When you replaced them, did you at least clean the end? Scrape off the old crusties, and then put back the hose?

I used the stock and a new one to make sure it stays tight.

If he blew a headgasket, he would be running into more problems then he is in now.

Like his coolant would be brownish.

yeah i put back on the old house and i cleaned it up pretty good and put new clamps on it and it hasn't leaked since.
Yeah im getting bubbles in the antifreeze with the radiator cap off

+Quote Post
Pearl01stratcpe
post Jun 27 2008, 01:25 AM
Post #11

2g Pimps

2001 Dodge Stratus
SE Coupe
4G64 / Manual
Pearl White

How do coil packs and coolant relate again? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/Chair.gif)

+Quote Post
jwhite
post Jun 27 2008, 06:38 AM
Post #12

Just joined...

2003 Dodge Stratus
SXT Coupe
2.4l 4cyl / Auto
Silver Ice

QUOTE (Pearl01stratcpe @ Jun 27 2008, 06:25 AM) *
How do coil packs and coolant relate again? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/Chair.gif)

lol i had to pull my coil packs off to change my spark plugs... had oil on the plugs and im losing coolant... lol

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2014 - 11:04 PM