BlueSteel R/T
post Nov 16 2006, 02:52 AM
Post #1

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 1997
2001 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
3.0L V6 / Deep Indigo

I just changed the battery and now my car will not idle. I called Dodge and they said all I need to do is run the car 7 miles and it will re-set and everything will be fine, but that didnt work. The car runs fine, but when I come to a stop it just dies.

Anyone heard of this or know how I can fix it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SexyStratus02
post Nov 16 2006, 04:37 AM
Post #2

Whoosh!

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 2638
2006 Mazdaspeed 6
Sedan
2.3 DISI / 6-speed
Black Cherry Mica

Hrm, could be a million things.

I get a funky idle these days but I have isolated the problem to the EGR valve - it either needs to be cleaned or replaced. I am going to get that sucker off this weekend and clean it.

This only started after you changed the battery? Strange...........

+Quote Post
nate_0022
post Nov 16 2006, 06:16 AM
Post #3

Xenon Powered

Member No.: 3043
2007 Acura TL
Sedan
3.2L V6 / Automatic
White

Mine did the same thing. I had to drive it around for a couple days, instead of the 7 hours you were told. Everything should eventually set.

+Quote Post
BlueSteel R/T
post Nov 16 2006, 02:59 PM
Post #4

2001 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
3.0L V6 / Deep Indigo

I hope that's all it is. I'll just keep driving it and see what happens. At the very least, I get good at 2 foot driving! (IMG:http://www.2gstratus.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
RooK
post Nov 17 2006, 12:38 PM
Post #5

MOPAR with an Eastern flare

Group: Members
Member No.: 3594
2001 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
6G72 / 5spd
Deep Indigo

Same problem here. I was working on replacing my motor mount and decided to clean up the battery and surrounding parts. So, I yanked the intake and battery out.

Hooked it back up, let idle for 10-15mins and left. What a problem, it would die every time I pushed the clutch in and let it return to idle. Sitting still at home it was fine, trying to drive it, it would not idle. Then I realized that I had forgotten to tighten the hose clamp around the throttle body. OK, did that and let it sit over night with the terminals disconnected.

Reconnected the terminals and let it idle again the next morning for about 15 mins. Gave it some gas to pull up the drive and hit the clutch, it didn't die. We're in business... or so I thought. It's died on my 2-3 times over the past week. Run the car with nothing but headlights on, you're good to go. Run the blower motor at the same time? It tries to kill itself from the alternator load. Rpms will drop so low the oil pressure light flickers, it steadies then does it again. I'm hoping it will eventually 'learn' and stop that, but who knows. I was monitoring vacuum and battery voltage while playing with it in the drive a second ago, nothing obvious that would account for the trouble.

I was just outside removing the intake again and I cleaned the throttle body and idle air control valve off with carb cleaner. The throttle body seems for function better, but I haven't driven it since. I've never seen a car so temperamental over a disconnected battery.

+Quote Post
RooK
post Nov 18 2006, 05:56 PM
Post #6

2001 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
6G72 / 5spd
Deep Indigo

UPDATE

Ran the car tonight after cleaning the tb and iac valve. Well, no more problems stalling, but now the idle is a consistent 1250rpm after warmup. (IMG:http://www.2gstratus.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Must have had a lot of buildup on one of the parts causing a blockage that is now clear. As much as I hate to, looks like I'm going to have to reset the ECU again and let it relearn. A high idle just isn't cutting it.

+Quote Post
RooK
post Nov 20 2006, 06:38 PM
Post #7

2001 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
6G72 / 5spd
Deep Indigo

Final Update

Reset the battery after I got off work yesterday and let it idle around 10mins. Took it for a drive, it was perfect. Just drove it to a night class tonight and back, around 40mile round trip and it was perfect. Idle varies between 800-600rpm and never dips below that, even with a full load.

So, having problems with the idle? Clean the TB and IAC valve, then reset the ECU and let it idle for 10mins. It helped my vehicle, it can't hurt to try it. It also takes minimals tools and didn't take over 30mins.

+Quote Post
BlueSteel R/T
post Nov 21 2006, 05:05 AM
Post #8

2001 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
3.0L V6 / Deep Indigo

I haven't cleaned the TB yet, but I may have to try it. It doesn't die anymore at idle, but it's idling around 200-300rpms. The lights dim, it sounds horrible, what the heck? All I did was change the battery. I guess I can't complain too much, I've had the car 3 years and this is the only problem I have ever had with it, but's it soooo annoying.

+Quote Post
RooK
post Nov 21 2006, 06:47 AM
Post #9

2001 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
6G72 / 5spd
Deep Indigo

QUOTE (BlueSteel R/T @ Nov 21 2006, 10:05 AM)
I haven't cleaned the TB yet, but I may have to try it. It doesn't die anymore at idle, but it's idling around 200-300rpms. The lights dim, it sounds horrible, what the heck? All I did was change the battery. I guess I can't complain too much, I've had the car 3 years and this is the only problem I have ever had with it, but's it soooo annoying.

I had the exact same problem. Removing the intake just involves the one clamp at the TB and 3 10mm bolts holding the filter box. Pop the two push pins in the intake and it will slide out of side of the box and you can pull the whole thing out. The IAC is directly below the TB opening. Three (3) phillips screws hold it in. Remove them and it will pull out. Just be sure not to lose the oring that seals it. An old toothbrush and carb cleaner does wonders.

+Quote Post
ClaytonBigsby
post Dec 20 2008, 08:23 AM
Post #10

Just joined...

Member No.: 5143
2001 Dodge Stratus
RT Coupe
3.0L V6 / Auto Stick
Red

I have this same problem. this car is a total piece of tempermental crap! i changed my motor mounts adn i guess since i left my battery unhooked for about 3 hours and now it wont idle. and the transmission is shifting weird and flashing between gears. should i try to reset the computer again. GOD IM DRIVING THIS CAR INTO THE RIVER! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/Chair.gif)

+Quote Post
StratusV6
post Dec 20 2008, 10:03 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 5082
2006 Pontiac G6
GTP Coupe
3.9L V6 / sportshift
crimson red

The same thing happened to me also. I barley made it home lol but i drove it all the way home which is around 7 miles maybe 10. The next day i drove it to the auto shop they couldnt find out what was going on so i drove off and it never happened again.

+Quote Post
ClaytonBigsby
post Dec 20 2008, 12:23 PM
Post #12

Just joined...

2001 Dodge Stratus
RT Coupe
3.0L V6 / Auto Stick
Red

Upadte!!!!! after reading some posts i first disconnected my neg. cable and that didnt work. so i left it connected and took my idle air bypass valve off and cleaned it with a paper towel and kinda cleaned in the hole and in the throttle body. the valve was pretty dirty. now it idles fine. not sure about the irratic tranny shift yet. ill keep you posted.

I still want to burn this car to the ground. give me back my mustangs!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

+Quote Post
2003 6G72 Stratu...
post Dec 22 2008, 08:26 PM
Post #13

Stratus-2 Cops-0

Member No.: 5108
2003 Dodge Stratus R/T
R/T Coupe
3.0 Liter V6 / F4A51
Ice Silver

yeah dude I put a new soundsystem in my R/T and my car did the same thing..........but it took a few days.......don't worry about it everything will be fine........eventually.

+Quote Post
ClaytonBigsby
post Dec 22 2008, 09:19 PM
Post #14

Just joined...

2001 Dodge Stratus
RT Coupe
3.0L V6 / Auto Stick
Red

I had to clean my IAC valve to get it to idle. i guess it learned to idle with it dirty. then acted up when the computer reset. now its fine. still flashes in between 2nd and 3rd.

i feel sorry for anyone who works on these things. they are designed very poorly. i tuned the car up today and it was a nightmare! getting the front 3 wires routed right was crazy! and i was going to replace both valve cover gaskets but after doing the front one i opted to not. you figure rubber gaskets would be easy to replace. not when they have been baked on and squeezed up into the factory stamped steel crappy valve covers.

I would have never bought this car if i didnt get it cheap. hopefully after i fix every problem with it i can sell it and get a real car that doesnt take thousands of dollars to break into the 13's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

+Quote Post
dk89
post Jan 19 2009, 03:23 PM
Post #15

Respect is Earned.

Member No.: 4611
2002 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
V6 3.0L / Manual
Pearl

Well since this seems to be the main "Battery Problem" thread and such, I'll post my exact same problem as everyone elses.

I just got the battery changed. I took it out to get some gas and hopefully, but this didn't happen - back home.
I got to the gas station and hadn't been in the situation of idling/stopping until then. Car dies. It died EVERY dang time...
I must say it's near impossible to have the clutch, brake, and gas revving slightly with 2 feet. Fail.

So I'm hoping maybe they'll look at it some more and maybe clean these things out that you guys have said... if not, could you guys show me some Pics of the "TB and IAC" vavles? I'd love to start learning stuff about my car and such, just need a push (and a big shove!).
Also, did/can anyone confirm anything about resetting the ECU as something that worked? (someone posted it...) I'd also need a "how-to" for that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (noob!)

I hope that this stuff doesn't start to be the beginning of MANY repairs coming in the future, but I know they're inevitable...

+Quote Post
dk89
post Jan 20 2009, 05:34 PM
Post #16

Respect is Earned.

Member No.: 4611
2002 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
V6 3.0L / Manual
Pearl

Well I called the shop today telling them not to mess with the car and that it just needs to "re-learn how to idle" and they didn't touch it.

Anyways everything works fine now. It probably sat outside for a day after that horrible 1/2 mile drive and the car dieing at minimum 10 times...
It idles at much lower RPM's than it used to, and still runs fine. No beams going slightly dim or any bad noise from the engine. (it had been doing it... SLIGHTLY!)
I used to idle at about 1.1k - 1k RPM's and now when I come to a complete halt I'm lowered to about 700-800 RPM's, which is saving me "idle" gas right!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

If anyone knows how to take apart and reassemble the TB and IAC valves please post a "How To" and I'd love to do it myself! Thanks.

+Quote Post
Pearl01stratcpe
post Jan 20 2009, 05:43 PM
Post #17

2g Pimps

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 4018
2001 Dodge Stratus
SE Coupe
4G64 / Manual
Pearl White

This must just be a V6 problem. I had my battery unplugged for like 2 hours when I did the motor mount inserts, and everything worked fine when i started it up for the first time.

+Quote Post
tAnK
post Aug 24 2010, 10:59 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 4134
2002 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
3.00 / Sport Stick
Red

*bumppp*

im having the same problems.

Can someone tell me where the TB and IAC valves are located?

also what does "tb" refer to?

This post has been edited by tAnK: Aug 24 2010, 10:59 AM

+Quote Post
Daes
post Aug 24 2010, 11:12 AM
Post #19

Veteran Member

Member No.: 5020
2001 Dodge Stratus
SE Coupe
2.4L / Manual
Pearl White

TB=throttle body and thats where your IAC & TPS are located.

TB is what your black plastic intake tube attaches to on the engine.

+Quote Post
tAnK
post Aug 24 2010, 11:56 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 4134
2002 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
3.00 / Sport Stick
Red

awesome, cleaned the tb and the iac and now it idles better than before.

thanks again!

2G to the rescue!

+Quote Post
Ekim401
post Aug 26 2010, 06:57 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 5256
2001 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
3.0L / Automatic
Deep Indigo

Wish I had seen this post earlier (I've got to start worrying more about contributing...I get enough help)

The rough/stalling idle will happen if you had existing problems with the TB, intake, IAC, EGR, ect...being dirty. Your car just learned how to deal with it over time. When you disconnected the battery, the ECU reset obviously...everything your car knew about your dirty ass TB was gone so it choked. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Glad you're back in business.

This post has been edited by Ekim401: Aug 26 2010, 06:57 AM

+Quote Post
Cashman
post Aug 28 2010, 05:04 AM
Post #22

Just joined...

Member No.: 4945
2002 dodge Stratus
rt coupe
3.0 / auto
graphite

ok im going to go ahead and clean the TB but i reset the computer and let it idle for 10 min or so and it idled fine, but when i would turn the a/c on the car would stall everytime! so i talked to my buddy and he said to reset the computer again and let it idle with the a/c on for 10 min. so i did. now it idles with the a/c on but when i turn the air off it'll stall out? wtf is that, u guys think it has anything to do with cleaning those valves?

+Quote Post
Ekim401
post Aug 30 2010, 11:38 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 5256
2001 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
3.0L / Automatic
Deep Indigo

See if someone around you with an Eclipse/Strat will swap IAC's with you to test yours for failure...or if you have the cash you could buy a new one, but they're pretty pricey so I wouldn't unless you had to.

+Quote Post
DwC in Seattle
post Oct 28 2012, 01:30 PM
Post #24

Just joined...

Group: New Members
Member No.: 6254
2001 Dodge Stratus
RT Coupe
3.0l V6 / Automatic
Black

QUOTE (RooK @ Nov 18 2006, 06:56 PM) *
UPDATE

Ran the car tonight after cleaning the tb and iac valve. Well, no more problems stalling, but now the idle is a consistent 1250rpm after warmup. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Must have had a lot of buildup on one of the parts causing a blockage that is now clear. As much as I hate to, looks like I'm going to have to reset the ECU again and let it relearn. A high idle just isn't cutting it.

How do you clean the IAC valve? Replacement costs over $200 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Thanks much,
DwC

+Quote Post
DwC in Seattle
post Oct 28 2012, 01:31 PM
Post #25

Just joined...

Group: New Members
Member No.: 6254
2001 Dodge Stratus
RT Coupe
3.0l V6 / Automatic
Black

QUOTE (RooK @ Nov 20 2006, 07:38 PM) *
Final Update

Reset the battery after I got off work yesterday and let it idle around 10mins. Took it for a drive, it was perfect. Just drove it to a night class tonight and back, around 40mile round trip and it was perfect. Idle varies between 800-600rpm and never dips below that, even with a full load.

So, having problems with the idle? Clean the TB and IAC valve, then reset the ECU and let it idle for 10mins. It helped my vehicle, it can't hurt to try it. It also takes minimals tools and didn't take over 30mins.

How do you clean the IAC? Replacement part is over $200.

+Quote Post
BRBRT03
post Oct 28 2012, 01:33 PM
Post #26

Wait....THATS a Hyundai!?!?!

Member No.: 6137
2013 Hyundai Genesis 2.0T R-Spec
R Coupe
2.0 Turbo / 6M
Tsukuba Red

QUOTE (DwC in Seattle @ Oct 28 2012, 01:30 PM) *
How do you clean the IAC valve? Replacement costs over $200 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Thanks much,
DwC

Its mounted right under the Throttle body. Three phillips screws unless im mistaken. Remove, spray with cleaner, reinstall.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 02:10 AM