2GStratus

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Serpentine Belt Tensioner Pulley Replacement, Anyone Have a HowTo???
Mr. Mopar
post Nov 1 2004, 05:35 AM
Post #1

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 717
2001 Dodge (duh) Stratus R/T
Coupe
3.0L V-6 / AutoStick
Indy Red

The serpentine belt tensioner pulley on my '01 Strat is squeaking and wobbling so I have to replace it. Does anyone have a howto for this or if anyone has done this before, do you have a brief outline of how you did this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MADStrat
post Nov 1 2004, 04:17 PM
Post #2

"almost" only works with horse shoes and hand grenades

Member No.: 1575
2005 Infiniti G35
Sedan
3.5L V6 / Manual
Diamond Graphite

QUOTE (Mr. Mopar @ Nov 1 2004, 07:35 AM)
The serpentine belt tensioner pulley on my '01 Strat is squeaking and wobbling so I have to replace it.  Does anyone have a howto for this or if anyone has done this before, do you have a brief outline of how you did this?

you might not have to replace the pulley, it's probably just the locking bolt. Mine did the same thing after I walked my friend's Camaro, turns out the bolt just came out / broke out. Put in a new bolt, tightened it down, and voila!

+Quote Post
Mr. Mopar
post Nov 2 2004, 04:51 AM
Post #3

Coupe
3.0L V-6 / AutoStick
Indy Red

Well I've got the pully on it's way, but I can always return it if it's not needed.

How did you get to it? I was thinking that the best way is to jack up the front end, put it on jack stands, pull the front passenger side wheel and remove the black plastic shrouding.

Am I at least on the right track??

I don't see how it could be done otherwise because it's soooooooooo tight in there.

+Quote Post
MADStrat
post Nov 2 2004, 06:18 AM
Post #4

2005 Infiniti G35
Sedan
3.5L V6 / Manual
Diamond Graphite

QUOTE (Mr. Mopar @ Nov 2 2004, 06:51 AM)
Well I've got the pully on it's way, but I can always return it if it's not needed.

How did you get to it?  I was thinking that the best way is to jack up the front end, put it on jack stands, pull the front passenger side wheel and remove the black plastic shrouding.

Am I at least on the right track??

I don't see how it could be done otherwise because it's soooooooooo tight in there.

Slow down there hard charger. You won't need to take off the wheel. Just jack up that side of the car and remove the plastic shroud, it's really not all that tight up there. The locking bolt in the center of the pulley is about a 17mm if I remember correctly. And the adjustment bolt is a little smaller than that. I think the bolts on the plastic shroud are 14mm and you'll want to use an extension on the socket wrench for a couple of them. Be careful not to strip those plastic screws too, they can be a pain. Once you get under there you'll see it's not too difficult.

+Quote Post
Mr. Mopar
post Nov 2 2004, 12:04 PM
Post #5

Coupe
3.0L V-6 / AutoStick
Indy Red

Well at least I'm heading in the right direction. Although, you may not have to remove the passenger side wheel, but I'm a bit bigger than the average Strat owner. I'll most likely have to remove the wheel (no biggie with an air impact) to fit my fat ass in there. (IMG:http://www.2gstratus.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
L0c0
post Nov 6 2004, 12:02 PM
Post #6

juiced

Member No.: 1883
'03 Dodge .
SRT4 Turbo
2.4L / Manual
Red

Check it out

i did this awhile back...Lc

+Quote Post
Mr. Mopar
post Nov 8 2004, 05:24 AM
Post #7

Coupe
3.0L V-6 / AutoStick
Indy Red

Thanks L0c0.

I didn't see this until today (Monday). I wound up just winging it on Saturday when I replaced my pulley. I was pleasently surprised at how easy it was. It took about 1/2 hour from start to finish.

As it turned out, the tensioner pulley was just loose. It did have a slight bit of play in it, but it wasn't enough to cause the noise that it was making.

However now every once in a while in the cold of the morning or night, the belt will squeal very loudly. It only happens when I initially give the car some gas to take off (have to have a load on the motor as keeping it in park doing this has no effect). It does it for about 5 seconds and doesn't usually do it again.

After I replaced the pulley, I did run the car for a bit and then recheck the belt tension and the nut that holds on the pulley. Everything appeared fine. I guess I'll check it again tonight.

+Quote Post
MADStrat
post Nov 8 2004, 10:54 AM
Post #8

2005 Infiniti G35
Sedan
3.5L V6 / Manual
Diamond Graphite

QUOTE (Mr. Mopar @ Nov 8 2004, 07:24 AM)
However now every once in a while in the cold of the morning or night, the belt will squeal very loudly.  It only happens when I initially give the car some gas to take off (have to have a load on the motor as keeping it in park doing this has no effect).  It does it for about 5 seconds and doesn't usually do it again.

After I replaced the pulley, I did run the car for a bit and then recheck the belt tension and the nut that holds on the pulley.  Everything appeared fine.  I guess I'll check it again tonight.

What you're describing here is a loose belt. The noise you are hearing is the belt slipping on the pulleys. Increase the tension on the belt and the noise should go away.

+Quote Post
Mr. Mopar
post Nov 8 2004, 12:05 PM
Post #9

Coupe
3.0L V-6 / AutoStick
Indy Red

QUOTE (MADStrat @ Nov 8 2004, 02:54 PM)
What you're describing here is a loose belt. The noise you are hearing is the belt slipping on the pulleys. Increase the tension on the belt and the noise should go away.

That is what I figured, but like I stated earlier, I adjusted the pulley, ran the engine and then rechecked the tension. It was extremely tight. There was almost no discernable movement in the belt.

It may have loosened up when I ran it home to change my clothes (only 1.5 miles from where I was at) since there was then a load on the engine.

I'm just paranoid. I have no money to fix anything major, so I always suspect the worst. It's just my nature.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th November 2014 - 06:59 AM