post Jun 13 2010, 11:09 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5498
2002 Dodge Stratus
SE Coupe
3.0 L / Auto
Tan

hey guys, im thinkin about getting some dynamat or fatmat etc. to put in my trunk. has anyone done this themselves and would it be too difficult to do by yourself? and my rearview mirror has an annoying rattle when i turn my bass up, can that be fixed? and one more thing, the inside of the plastic that protects my instrument cluster is oxidizing for some reason has that happened to anyone ?? please help thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lw1102strat
post Jun 13 2010, 11:13 AM
Post #2

2002 Dodge Stratus
SE Coupe
3.0 L / Auto
Tan

oh yeah and 1 more thing, im thinking about debadging my trunk would you be able to see the letters still cause im sure the original paint is faded

+Quote Post
whiteout
post Jun 13 2010, 12:13 PM
Post #3

Please excuse the typos, I'm not used to the straight jacket

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 1027
2001 Stratus R/T
R/T Coupe
3.0 V6 / Autostick
Satin White

One thing at a time:
The letters off the trunk are pretty much trash once you peel them off, they are thin, chromeplated plastic with adhesive tape on the back. Even if you get them off cleanly, the tape will not be useable again and you would have to cut out new adhesive with an X-acto knife in the correct shape to make them look decent again. For that kind of effort, go order new ones from the dealer

If you have the mirror with the lights in the bottom of it and the dimming feature, you are screwed because there are MANY little pieces making up that unit and you may get some of them to rattle less, but stopping it is impossible. I went thru it with my car too. I pulled my mirror and replaced it with a modified baseline Strat mirror, never had a problem after that. I even had to remove my sunroof slider because it vibrated with the bass so bad. I was running 2 12" L7's, to say the least, it was a bit loud

"Dynamatting" is a good idea to fight the rattles, although the brand Dynamat itself is ridiculously overpriced. If you want to get really sneaky, go to home depot and look for adhesive roofing tar sheets, it's the same freakin' thing, plus you could cover the entire car for about $50 (I did under the hood, the ENTIRE interior, and the trunk. If you have any rattle questions, ask, because I can probably tell you exactly where it is coming from. I had them all and I HATE rattles, so I solved them all
The application roller Dynamat gives you is also available at Home Depot for under $2. It does help

P.S. You asked about the spray Dynashield one time, don't bother, it's useless. Duplicolor spray Truck Bed Linerworks better for, once again, ALOT less money

This post has been edited by whiteout: Jun 13 2010, 12:17 PM

+Quote Post
StreetLegal?
post Jun 13 2010, 06:47 PM
Post #4

lol mpgs

Member No.: 5443
1998 Pontiac Trans AM
WS6 Convertible
LS1 / M6
Silver

QUOTE (lw1102strat @ Jun 13 2010, 01:13 PM) *
oh yeah and 1 more thing, im thinking about debadging my trunk would you be able to see the letters still cause im sure the original paint is faded

QUOTE (whiteout @ Jun 13 2010, 02:13 PM) *
The letters off the trunk are pretty much trash once you peel them off, they are thin, chromeplated plastic with adhesive tape on the back. Even if you get them off cleanly, the tape will not be useable again and you would have to cut out new adhesive with an X-acto knife in the correct shape to make them look decent again. For that kind of effort, go order new ones from the dealer

I think he meant ghost letters. Not re-applying the letters. Yes you will probably have ghost letters until you buff it up and clay bar it.

+Quote Post
dk89
post Jun 13 2010, 08:43 PM
Post #5

Respect is Earned.

Member No.: 4611
2002 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
V6 3.0L / Manual
Pearl

Jesus I had no idea what the main question was the whole time. Slow down!
Anyways... like StreetLegal said you'll have ghost letters. For the most part it will go away and be really hard to spot after claying, but most likely still noticeable if you REALLY REALLY look. But polishing and then waxing this would correct it (but you need to either do a lot of research and buy stuff for this or have someone do it for you) to completely remove any trace of it.

For the gauge cluster, I would recommend wetsanding SLOWLY with 1000, 1500, then 2000 grit and that would be the first step. You will then need to either research into specific products or I would suggest attempting to try the plastic lens clearing stuff. There might be other things more suited than my suggestion, but I think it would do the trick.

Dynamat is overrated, overpriced, and not worth it. Listen to whiteout as it seems he's already given you advice in that area.

+Quote Post
lw1102strat
post Jun 16 2010, 11:54 AM
Post #6

2002 Dodge Stratus
SE Coupe
3.0 L / Auto
Tan

ya i got the SE so its the basic mirror