Post #1

I'm a GUY damnit!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 49
2004 Mazda 6s
Sedan
3.0 V6 / 5-Spd
Black

Well, I'm pretty sure my video card decided to finally call it a day... So, after 6 years of good service, I think it's time to look to build a new system. I could spend around $100 for a new video card (old one was ATI 9800 AIW) but since my MB is limited to 4x AGP, I think it's best to just put that towards a new build.

I guess my goal is to build something with upgradability. I know I don't have the cash to dump on another top of the line system short term, but I figure I could buy stuff with an upgrade in mind in a year or two. I have some companies I would like to stick with, such as Intel procs, ASUS MB's, and ATI Graphics. I also like Corsair RAM and Western Digital HD's.

I guess I can be pretty lean. Right now most of my PC use is just internet browsing. I'm looking forward to playing Starcraft 2 (coming sometine next decade), the KOTOR MMO, ect. So short term, I'd like to have enough kick to play games.

Any suggestions? Ideas? I'm sort of using this as somewhere I can document ideas/advice as I go. It's been awhile since I built a system, but I am only half-idot. I should be able to figure it out.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jaqattack02
post Oct 17 2009, 06:55 AM
Post #2

Veteran Member

Member No.: 2766
2005 MINI Cooper S
Hatch
Blown 1.6L / 6MT
Black Eye Purple

Here's a link to my Newegg wishlist for my next upgrade. The only think you'll need to add to have a complete computer is a hard drive. It's using the new LGA1156 socket which will run both the Core i5 and i7 chips from Intel. I planned to pick up an i5 for now, and an i7 eventually, once prices come down a bit. It pretty much covers your bases, Asus board and ATi graphics card. The G Skill memory is good stuff. I used to run Corsair, but gave the G Skill a shot, and it's been great, no problems at all.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedW...aspx?ID=3465431

Let me know if the link doesn't work.

+Quote Post
Stasy
post Oct 17 2009, 07:55 AM
Post #3

I'm a GUY damnit!

2004 Mazda 6s
Sedan
3.0 V6 / 5-Spd
Black

It comes up to a login screen.

I have to say I am slightly confused by the i5 and i7 terms... but I am slowly getting it. I'm guessing unless I'm getting into a dick measuring contest, I won't need to get into a 1366 socket. Or want to move up to an i9 when they're released...

Does ATI not make their own cards? I did a quick search and I don't see any of the newer ones for sale without being somebody elses card with that perticular chipset. Maybe I'm just not looking deep enough.

+Quote Post
stubull05
post Oct 17 2009, 02:19 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 4785
2001 Dodge Stratus
SE Sedan
2.4L / Auto
Red

QUOTE (Stasy @ Oct 17 2009, 10:55 AM) *
It comes up to a login screen.

I have to say I am slightly confused by the i5 and i7 terms... but I am slowly getting it. I'm guessing unless I'm getting into a dick measuring contest, I won't need to get into a 1366 socket. Or want to move up to an i9 when they're released...

Does ATI not make their own cards? I did a quick search and I don't see any of the newer ones for sale without being somebody elses card with that perticular chipset. Maybe I'm just not looking deep enough.

If your looking for upgrading in the future on a tight budget, you should go with AMD processors. Everyone disses them, but they are great on a budget. a great cpu like a phenom or x2 +5000 black edition cost me about 80 bucks. really fast and cheap. for memory check out g skill and OCZ, overclocked they are crazy fast. For MOBO's asus is okay, I stick with biostar myself (cheap and easy to overclock), that's just my .02

This post has been edited by stubull05: Oct 17 2009, 02:26 PM

+Quote Post
Stasy
post Oct 19 2009, 05:04 PM
Post #5

I'm a GUY damnit!

2004 Mazda 6s
Sedan
3.0 V6 / 5-Spd
Black

Well I liked the ASUS choices, but after reading some reviews I think I am going to go with a MSI P55-GD65 Motherboard. I liked the GD-80, but I really don't need the bells and whistles. I'm thinking the Intel i5-750 for the processor, I think for now I'm thinking one 4GB DDR3 stick (will eventually go to 16 because...I'm bored? It's the limit?). I'm still unsure what speed to go after. Those boards list 1066/1333 and then several other speeds with *OC.

I am re-using my case (ATX is still the form), and PS (It's a solid Vantec? unit that is rated at 470w), unless I run into trouble. I also have a few good Western Digital HDD's that work fine for now, and I have a DVD drive and my Burner (I rarely use it) that function. I want to wait for Windows 7, that'll be a $200 investment, but at least I'll have a legit copy of my OS. I still have yet to pick my Video Card, but other than that, anything I'm forgetting about?

-MSI P55-GD
-Intel i5-750
-4GB DDR3
-Video Card?

Edit-Something is telling me the PS will not work on the newer video cards... dang. I suppose it's time to upgrade that bad boy too.

This post has been edited by Stasy: Oct 19 2009, 05:11 PM

+Quote Post
wiseoracle
post Oct 19 2009, 06:06 PM
Post #6

2g Pimps

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 2719
2010 Dodge Challenger
SRT8 Coupe
6.1L V8 / Tremec 6 Speed
Red

Do a lot of gaming? No budget? Dual-Tri monitor high resolution setup? 24" and above? Direct-X 11? ATi 5870 is what I would choose. ~$380

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/gra...0-overview.aspx

Mid-High range? ATi 5850 ~250

http://www.amd.com/US/PRODUCTS/DESKTOP/GRA...0-overview.aspx

Mid range? ATi 5770 ~150

http://www.amd.com/US/PRODUCTS/DESKTOP/GRA...0-overview.aspx

PS - I would look for 80+ Efficiency ones. I've only got a 400 watt powering my single 9800 GTX+.

If you're a student, or know someone who is a student, you can buy Win 7 Pro for $30.

http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/msw...s=1253208223778

I got Ultimate for free (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Legit of course.

+Quote Post
Stasy
post Oct 20 2009, 11:15 AM
Post #7

I'm a GUY damnit!

2004 Mazda 6s
Sedan
3.0 V6 / 5-Spd
Black

I've been looking at the 5770, mostly cause short term it will do what I need. I don't need a great card at the moment. Maybe when the games I'm intrested in come out mid-late next year I'll upgrade to a more manly VC if the one I pick can't hack it.

I think the MB is the place to spend. I can always add a better VC, RAM, and CPU down the road when my wallet can afford it. Unfortunately right now I wasn't saving for a comp failure. LOL!

I would look around my family for college students...but I want a full copy. I shouldn't complain...my last legit OS buy was ME. LOL!

+Quote Post
wiseoracle
post Oct 20 2009, 12:04 PM
Post #8

2g Pimps

2010 Dodge Challenger
SRT8 Coupe
6.1L V8 / Tremec 6 Speed
Red

QUOTE (Stasy @ Oct 20 2009, 02:15 PM) *
I've been looking at the 5770, mostly cause short term it will do what I need. I don't need a great card at the moment. Maybe when the games I'm intrested in come out mid-late next year I'll upgrade to a more manly VC if the one I pick can't hack it.

I think the MB is the place to spend. I can always add a better VC, RAM, and CPU down the road when my wallet can afford it. Unfortunately right now I wasn't saving for a comp failure. LOL!

I would look around my family for college students...but I want a full copy. I shouldn't complain...my last legit OS buy was ME. LOL!

Upgrade disc acts like a Full Install. When it asks for an OS, throw in a copy of XP or Vista. It'll check the CD, and then it'll do a fresh install.

+Quote Post
Stasy
post Oct 20 2009, 04:35 PM
Post #9

I'm a GUY damnit!

2004 Mazda 6s
Sedan
3.0 V6 / 5-Spd
Black

I am going to take a shot re-using the case, but I'm thinking the power supply might need to go. I only say this because everybody swears to their mom they need at least 750w to start.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking a 600-700w will be fine. I game, but I doubt I'll ever drop all the cash to go Dual GPU. Maybe a modular will help reduce clutter in my case? (mid tower, and my Vantech cables were meant for a full tower.) LOL!

I was hoping to go 2 sticks @ 4GB, but the price on that seems....steep. I'm thinking 2 sticks @ 2GB and eventually flush out to 4 sticks totaling 8GB. I like the prices on the Gskill. Thinking of going with the DDR3 2000 variety.

+Quote Post
wiseoracle
post Oct 20 2009, 05:04 PM
Post #10

2g Pimps

2010 Dodge Challenger
SRT8 Coupe
6.1L V8 / Tremec 6 Speed
Red

I see 600-700 watts is enough. Like I said, find a 80+ efficient PS. Unless you think you will add more drives. Memory won't have any effect on power draw. 4GB of memory is enough, as it's what I have, and under idle it only uses 1.5-1.8 GB of memory. Unless you are doing a lot of video/photo editing with raw files, 8GB might be what you need now.

Dual GPU is pointless to me. It doesn't scale well with most games and for the money to performance ratio, it isn't worth it. Usually a next gen single card can out do a dual gpu setup. So if it ever does get slow for you, more than likely a newer/cheaper card will out perform 2 last gen cards.

+Quote Post
jaqattack02
post Oct 23 2009, 05:02 AM
Post #11

Veteran Member

2005 MINI Cooper S
Hatch
Blown 1.6L / 6MT
Black Eye Purple

A couple things to look for in a decent power supply are either multiple 12v rails, or at least a single rail with a high amperage rating. Most of the draw in modern systems are on the 12v line. Modular PSUs are pretty popular now, and assuming it gives you enough cables, can be pretty convenient. As long as you have enough capacity on the 12v 500-600w should be plenty. Active PFC can be nice, but isn't really needed. Mine has it, but I haven't really noticed much difference. I would expect it would mostly contribute to the longevity of the components, because they're getting cleaner power. I've been running a Mushkin 650w for a good while now and liked it. Antec and Thermaltake both also make pretty good stuff. PC Power and Cooling is supposed to be a top notch brand recently too, although you tend to pay for it with them.

+Quote Post
jaqattack02
post Oct 23 2009, 05:07 AM
Post #12

Veteran Member

2005 MINI Cooper S
Hatch
Blown 1.6L / 6MT
Black Eye Purple

QUOTE (wiseoracle @ Oct 20 2009, 09:04 PM) *
Dual GPU is pointless to me. It doesn't scale well with most games and for the money to performance ratio, it isn't worth it. Usually a next gen single card can out do a dual gpu setup. So if it ever does get slow for you, more than likely a newer/cheaper card will out perform 2 last gen cards.

Pretty much what I came to realize as well. I was running dual X800 Pro's for a while, because I got a deal on a second one. Moved up to a single 2850 Pro and the new single card completely smoked the 2 older ones, and I spent under $200 for it.

+Quote Post
Stasy
post Oct 23 2009, 02:06 PM
Post #13

I'm a GUY damnit!

2004 Mazda 6s
Sedan
3.0 V6 / 5-Spd
Black

Well it's all in my purchase basket from NewEgg. I looked at some other vendors, but none of the prices even came close. I'm still hesitating on hitting buy... call me a pussy over spending. LOL!

Intel i5-750
MSI P55-GD65
Sapphire ATi RADEON HD 5770
GSkill Trident DDR3 2000 (2x2GB)
Antec TruePower New TP-750
Windows 7 Home Premium Full- Retail

$894.90- All free shipping

I'll be re-using all other required parts from my computer...or borrowing money from the GF to replace other peices. I sort of can't wait to get building!

EDIT- Did it. GF threatened to kick me in the junk if I didn't just buy the damn thing already.

This post has been edited by Stasy: Oct 23 2009, 02:55 PM

+Quote Post
wiseoracle
post Oct 23 2009, 02:59 PM
Post #14

2g Pimps

2010 Dodge Challenger
SRT8 Coupe
6.1L V8 / Tremec 6 Speed
Red

Did you check the prices on OEM versions of 7? It's considerably cheaper. I think professional is going for 100 dollars give or take.

+Quote Post
jaqattack02
post Oct 23 2009, 03:59 PM
Post #15

Veteran Member

2005 MINI Cooper S
Hatch
Blown 1.6L / 6MT
Black Eye Purple

QUOTE (wiseoracle @ Oct 23 2009, 06:59 PM) *
Did you check the prices on OEM versions of 7? It's considerably cheaper. I think professional is going for 100 dollars give or take.

True, but if you ever plan to modify the computer in the future, you need a retail copy. Microsoft has cracked down on porting OEM licenses from computer to computer since Vista came out. With XP they would allow it if you called them and explained, Vista they (supposedly) won't let you unless it's a full retail copy. I haven't experienced this first hand, but I'd check into it heavily before I bought an OEM copy. If that really is the case, you could get stuck shelling out another $100+ to get a new copy.

+Quote Post
Stasy
post Oct 24 2009, 03:57 AM
Post #16

I'm a GUY damnit!

2004 Mazda 6s
Sedan
3.0 V6 / 5-Spd
Black

The main reason for the retail was so if I needed to I can move the OS to a new comp. I'd hate to get stuck with a one time deal more or less. Oh well... at least if I need it in the future, I can just use it.

+Quote Post
Stasy
post Oct 29 2009, 04:59 PM
Post #17

I'm a GUY damnit!

2004 Mazda 6s
Sedan
3.0 V6 / 5-Spd
Black

She's online!!! So far so good. I have alot of cleanup to do around the house...lol!

I'm not too crazy over Windows 7...but it could be because I came from XP and I'm trying to deal with all the new hardware and the usual bringing of a system up to snuff. I miss the logical layout of the older windows. Just me perhaps...

Haven't gamed or anything. Just setup. Seems like it'll be fun to get stuff rocking soon.

+Quote Post
wiseoracle
post Oct 29 2009, 06:21 PM
Post #18

2g Pimps

2010 Dodge Challenger
SRT8 Coupe
6.1L V8 / Tremec 6 Speed
Red

Get over it. Honestly. Forget all the quarks and how you did things in XP. 7 is better, fewer clicks to things. Start Menu is organized everything in one spot, so you don't have to search for things.

Trust me, you'll forget XP existed.

+Quote Post
Stasy
post Oct 30 2009, 12:31 PM
Post #19

I'm a GUY damnit!

2004 Mazda 6s
Sedan
3.0 V6 / 5-Spd
Black

I am getting used to it. I guess with all the new stuff at once I just... freaked.

The system is pretty stable...so far. I do want to mess with the RAM and get it up to speed. The processor oc really isn't a big deal. At least on stock cooling in my case.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2017 - 04:48 AM