Post #1

Just joined...

Group: New Members
Member No.: 4934
2001 Dodge Stratus
RT Coupe
3.0 V6 / Tronic
Red

My transmission gave out last sunday on the highway on a night around 3am when I was heading home. Luckily, I was doing around 80MPH and was able to stear my car out of harms way. Ive ordered a wave spring and hopefully itll solve my issues. My question is, is it possible swapping a different transmission onto my dodge stratus coupe? I have the infamous F4A51 and Ive noticed the Diamante and Galant both have a 5 Speed Automatic, is it a direct bolt on? thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wright06jhs
post Mar 19 2010, 11:37 PM
Post #2

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 5207
2007 Infiniti G35X
X Sedan
Vq35HR / Automatic
Silver

You do not have a 5 speed automatic. These cars never came with a 5 speed auto and neither did the Galant, Eclipse, or Sebring Coupe.
You can use a F4A51 from another car but there are some differences between the years, id try looking for a trans out of the same year you have first (Galant, Eclipse, Strat/Sebring).

+Quote Post
fenix
post Mar 20 2010, 12:25 AM
Post #3

Just joined...

Member No.: 4934
2001 Dodge Stratus
RT Coupe
3.0 V6 / Tronic
Red

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Galant

5 Speed Automatic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Magna

5 Speed Automatic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Diamante

5 Speed Automatic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Pajero

5 Speed Automatic

Again, anyone that can actually answer my question please reply. Thanks

+Quote Post
Pearl01stratcpe
post Mar 20 2010, 04:06 AM
Post #4

2g Pimps

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 4018
2012 Nissan Maxima
SV Sedan
VQ35DE / CVT
Pearl White

QUOTE (fenix @ Mar 20 2010, 05:25 AM) *
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Galant
The American market Galant, introduced on July 7, 1998, graduated to the US Environmental Protection Agency‎'s mid-size class. The front suspension switched from double-wishbones to struts, though the rear was upgraded with a stabilizer bar standard on all but the base DE model. ES, LS and GTZ models were offered with a 195 hp (145 kW) V6 engine, the 6G72 3.0 L, mated to a standard 4-speed conventional auto. Another difference from Asian and European models was lack of ABS, which was only installed on 3.0 L model.

5 Speed Automatic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Magna
models were now fitted with a 5-speed triptronic transmission (making Mitsubishi the first Australian manufactured to offer this instead of traditional 4-speed automatic transmission of the time). 4-speed tiptronic automatics became standard on all other Magna models in TJ series 2 guise.

5 Speed Automatic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Diamante

5 Speed Automatic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Pajero
In the North American market, the 3.5 L engine was replaced for 2003 by a more powerful 3.8 L unit

5 Speed Automatic

It looks to me like that wasnt an option in the US, only over seas. So Wright DID answer your question.

From Club3g, but is a member here.
QUOTE (KnoxvilleStratus)
So after much research elsewhere. It turns out that the only transmissions that will fit the 01 V6 are as follows: 00-01 Galant, Eclipse, Sebring, or Stratus. Apparently there were small changes in the F4A51 from year to year (from what a Mistu tech and several junkyards tell me.) If anyone knows better, please let me know.

Sidenote: For the people with the 02+ auto trannies, there are plenty to be found on the cheap. Car-Part.com is your friend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
wright06jhs
post Mar 20 2010, 09:39 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 5207
2007 Infiniti G35X
X Sedan
Vq35HR / Automatic
Silver

QUOTE (fenix @ Mar 20 2010, 03:25 AM) *

You sir need to learn more about your car before you go looking for parts. All of the knowledge you have now of it now is going to lead you to nothing but complete failure and wasted money.

Ive had 2 3G Eclipse's which were....AUTOMATIC, and a 8G Galant which was to your surprise...4spd Auto. Also get this fun little fact they were ALL V6 which is the same 6G72 that is in your Stratus RT, meaning they would also have the same F4A51 as your car.
Honestly if i didn't know anything about what you were asking i would'nt have responded. Also how do you drive your car for any length of time and NOT realize how many gears it has....

Ill know next time to ignore your post instead of helping because your actually an ass.

+Quote Post
knoxvillestratus
post Mar 31 2010, 07:03 AM
Post #6

Group: Members
Member No.: 5390
2001 Dodge Stratus
Coupe
3.0 / A/T
Pearl White

QUOTE (wright06jhs @ Mar 20 2010, 02:37 AM) *
You can use a F4A51 from another car but there are some differences between the years, id try looking for a trans out of the same year you have first (Galant, Eclipse, Strat/Sebring).

The real pain in the ass is that junkyards are onto the fact that the only thing that will fit are the 00-01 trannies. Plenty of 02-on to be had for less than $600. Same story for the 99-back. But they want twice that for an 00-01. I tried about 20 different ways getting something cheaper than what a rebuild would cost, none of which worked so now it's getting rebuilt. Not sure if you're where you're located, but there's a guy in Tampa, FL that has one with 130k on it - but rebuilt @86K. He only wants $200 for it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_drool.gif) !

It is stupid that all these transmissions have the same designation. Ours is f4a51-2. Best explanation that was given to me is that gear ratios and sensors change from year to year in order to gain more torque, get better mileage, more horsepower, etc. Just seems like they could be a little more specific when naming these things so issues like this would be a little easier to figure out.

+Quote Post
ScreamingStratus
post Jan 24 2014, 03:49 PM
Post #7

Just joined...

Member No.: 6467
2001 Dodge Startus
RT Coupe
3.0 / Auto/Slap
Black

Old topic but still would like to know what transmissions will bolt right up and fit my 01 Stratus R/T 3.0V6 it has the 4 speed slap stick I am guessing you call it. My local yard has an 02 transmission for 100.00 but will it fit? Does the engine need to be a 3.0 the tranny came from aswell?

This post has been edited by ScreamingStratus: Jan 24 2014, 03:55 PM

+Quote Post
Daes
post Jan 24 2014, 04:05 PM
Post #8

Veteran Member

Member No.: 5020
2001 Dodge Stratus
SE Coupe
2.4L / Manual
Pearl White

QUOTE (ScreamingStratus @ Jan 24 2014, 05:49 PM) *
Old topic but still would like to know what transmissions will bolt right up and fit my 01 Stratus R/T 3.0V6 it has the 4 speed slap stick I am guessing you call it. My local yard has an 02 transmission for 100.00 but will it fit? Does the engine need to be a 3.0 the tranny came from aswell?

Everything you asked is explained in this very thread!

+Quote Post
ScreamingStratus
post Jan 24 2014, 04:29 PM
Post #9

Just joined...

Member No.: 6467
2001 Dodge Startus
RT Coupe
3.0 / Auto/Slap
Black

Nothing is helping me seeing I am on my phone and searching sucks when getting right to the point always is best first thing. I don't why everyone has to act like a douche on forums, this is why this forum was created for noobs and I really need to get something done to this car asap. I dunno why when I ask such a nice simple question I get negativity.

+Quote Post
Daes
post Jan 24 2014, 05:30 PM
Post #10

Veteran Member

Member No.: 5020
2001 Dodge Stratus
SE Coupe
2.4L / Manual
Pearl White

I said nothing negative. I assumed you just skimmed through the thread.

I'll be helpful...

No other transmission will work in your car other than one from a...
2001 Dodge Stratus 2-door coupe 3.0L
2001 Chrysler Sebring 2-door coupe 3.0L
2000-2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 3.0L
2000-2001 Mitsubishi Galant 3.0L

It has to be from a 3.0L from the list above. The 2.4L transmission which is similar, will not fit.

2002-2005 will not work.

The slap stick doesn't matter. You can use a transmission from a non slap stick car. Yes, your slap stick will still work. Your cars computer controls the tiptronic functions, not the transmission.

+Quote Post
Aerolite01
post Jan 24 2014, 06:20 PM
Post #11

Aint nobody got time fo dat.

Member No.: 6343
2006 Pontiac GTO
Coupe
6.0 LS2 / A4
Torrid Red

QUOTE (ScreamingStratus @ Jan 24 2014, 06:29 PM) *
Nothing is helping me seeing I am on my phone and searching sucks when getting right to the point always is best first thing. I don't why everyone has to act like a douche on forums, this is why this forum was created for noobs and I really need to get something done to this car asap. I dunno why when I ask such a nice simple question I get negativity.

I'm having a hard time understanding how he was being negative. Sounds like someone is too lazy to read wants others to do the work for him. If anything he gave the
nice response, compared to what others could say.

+Quote Post
GSpeed
post Mar 29 2017, 02:37 PM
Post #12

Just joined...

Member No.: 2997
2002 Mitsubishi Galant
sedan

Daes,
I understand this to be older post however, I've a similar issue. Have 2002 Galant ES-V6 equipped with F4A51 2F-ZB, which has become defective.
Can transmission from 2004 Sebring 3.0 V6 with F4A51 (non auto-stick), be installed in the 2002 Galant without any issue / modifications (trans control unit, different bolt patterns, speed sensor issues etc.)? Would it be "plug and play" so to speak?
Also, is there a difference in gear ratios between the two?
Your time and assistance is appreciated.

+Quote Post
Pearl01stratcpe
post Apr 1 2017, 04:59 PM
Post #13

2g Pimps

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 4018
2012 Nissan Maxima
SV Sedan
VQ35DE / CVT
Pearl White

QUOTE (GSpeed @ Mar 29 2017, 08:37 PM) *
Daes,
I understand this to be older post however, I've a similar issue. Have 2002 Galant ES-V6 equipped with F4A51 2F-ZB, which has become defective.
Can transmission from 2004 Sebring 3.0 V6 with F4A51 (non auto-stick), be installed in the 2002 Galant without any issue / modifications (trans control unit, different bolt patterns, speed sensor issues etc.)? Would it be "plug and play" so to speak?
Also, is there a difference in gear ratios between the two?
Your time and assistance is appreciated.

Im not Daes, but... yes the transmissions are all the same. If it had an F4A51, it can be either strictly auto, or auto stick. Its all in the computer.

+Quote Post
capacel
post May 25 2017, 12:19 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 6827
1986 BMW E30
SE Sedan
325i / Manual
Black

QUOTE (Pearl01stratcpe @ Apr 1 2017, 04:59 PM) *
Im not Daes, but... yes the transmissions are all the same. If it had an F4A51, it can be either strictly auto, or auto stick. Its all in the computer.

I know this is a little bit old, but I support what he just said. All the transmissions are the same.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2017 - 09:54 AM