Post #1

Just joined...

Group: New Members
Member No.: 6581
2004 Dodge Stratus
SXT Coupe
2.4l 16 SOHC / Automatic
baby blue

Good morning eveyone, I have a 2004 Dodge Stratus SXT Coupe with a Mitsubishi 2.4l 16 valve SOHC . I do understand this motor is pretty rare in this car, I do believe its in 7% on them. I am starting to have a few problems with it and im not ure it is just better to keep the motor and build it further or swap out to a 2.4l DOHC turbocharged. My motor i just noticed the timing belt eating the plasting upper cover and i am starting to hear a noise coming from the bottom of the motor. i do understand this is a interference motor and the valves can bend easy and ruin my motor. just kind looking for options or opinions.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pearl01stratcpe
post Jan 27 2015, 11:10 AM
Post #2

2g Pimps

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 4018
2012 Nissan Maxima
SV Sedan
VQ35DE / CVT
Pearl White

7% sounds way low, im curious where you got that figure. Theres no straight swap to a 2.4 DOHC turbo, as the one is the SRT-4 and the Dodge Stratus sedan from Mexico had that motor but it wont be a direct or easy swap.

Best swap is the 2.0 DOHC 4G63 out of and Evo. Or if you want to build the motor, take the head and turbo parts from the Evo and put them right on you engine (the hardware fits, but getting the electronics to work correctly will take some work).

Take the timing cover off the top and bottom, and inspect the timing belt and balance shaft belt. If you hear ticking your timing belt tensioner is on its way out most likely. Fix it fast before it becomes a bigger problem.

+Quote Post
Nag3l
post Jan 28 2015, 06:57 AM
Post #3

Just joined...

2004 Dodge Stratus
SXT Coupe
2.4l 16 SOHC / Automatic
baby blue

Well balance shaft belt snapped last night. In this no tolerance motor... If the balance shaft belt snapped while running will it hurt the head? I am probably going to replace the top half but what are the chances of lower end damage?

I got the figures from auto zone and advanced auto.

QUOTE (Pearl01stratcpe @ Jan 27 2015, 03:10 PM) *
7% sounds way low, im curious where you got that figure. Theres no straight swap to a 2.4 DOHC turbo, as the one is the SRT-4 and the Dodge Stratus sedan from Mexico had that motor but it wont be a direct or easy swap.

Best swap is the 2.0 DOHC 4G63 out of and Evo. Or if you want to build the motor, take the head and turbo parts from the Evo and put them right on you engine (the hardware fits, but getting the electronics to work correctly will take some work).

Take the timing cover off the top and bottom, and inspect the timing belt and balance shaft belt. If you hear ticking your timing belt tensioner is on its way out most likely. Fix it fast before it becomes a bigger problem.

+Quote Post
Pearl01stratcpe
post Jan 28 2015, 09:28 AM
Post #4

2g Pimps

2012 Nissan Maxima
SV Sedan
VQ35DE / CVT
Pearl White

I have no idea what happens when the balance shaft belt breaks. I assume the balance shaft smooths out the engine when its running, but if it affects anything major im not sure. It wont directly hurt the head like the timing belt would.

+Quote Post
Nag3l
post Jan 28 2015, 09:32 AM
Post #5

Just joined...

2004 Dodge Stratus
SXT Coupe
2.4l 16 SOHC / Automatic
baby blue

Any chance you would know of a page that would have videos, information, or diagrams of the 4g64?

+Quote Post
Pearl01stratcpe
post Jan 28 2015, 10:50 AM
Post #6

2g Pimps

2012 Nissan Maxima
SV Sedan
VQ35DE / CVT
Pearl White

QUOTE (Nag3l @ Jan 28 2015, 02:32 PM) *
Any chance you would know of a page that would have videos, information, or diagrams of the 4g64?

As a matter of fact, I do. http://tearstone.com/eclipsefsm/GR00002700-11A.pdf

Bookmark this page - http://tearstone.com/2003-2005-eclipse-fac...service-manual/

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2019 - 08:08 PM