Post #1

Just joined...

Group: Members
Member No.: 6481
2002 Dodge Stratus
R/T coupe
3.0 / 5 speed
black

Hello new to 2g. And the eclipse platform stratus I just bought a 02 r/t coupe. Its going good so far, has a vibration I've diagnosed as bad motor mount or mounts. Going with the prothane inserts for replacements. Any input would be appreciated. Also if anyone has had experience with the keyless entry fobs and chipped keys on ebay. I only have a key and the dealer said 75 for a cut key 120 for a fob plus 40 for programming.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daes
post Mar 5 2014, 04:34 PM
Post #2

Veteran Member

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 5020
2001 Dodge Stratus
SE Coupe
2.4L / Manual
Pearl White

If you only have one key, dealership is your only option for a second. As for the fobs, you can program them yourself.

+Quote Post
Maine Jake
post Mar 6 2014, 03:11 AM
Post #3

Just joined...

2002 Dodge Stratus
R/T coupe
3.0 / 5 speed
black

QUOTE (Daes @ Mar 5 2014, 07:34 PM) *
If you only have one key, dealership is your only option for a second. As for the fobs, you can program them yourself.

Ok thanks I found the programing procedure for the fob online. Just to be clear the key can only be purchased from the dealer or can only bepprogrammed by the dealer. The keys on eBay are 50$+ cheaper then the dealer. If I could buy on eBay and have the dealer cut and program. Appreciate the help.

+Quote Post
Maine Jake
post Mar 6 2014, 03:30 AM
Post #4

Just joined...

2002 Dodge Stratus
R/T coupe
3.0 / 5 speed
black

I am going to research this in a few but since I already had this thread going I figured I would put the question out there. This morning was very cold -4 to be exact. I noticed after leaving the car running while I went into the store that under idle the car does not blow warm air. I know on previous vehicles that this is usually either low coolant or a weak pump. I's this a common issue? The car has 120k and I dong know the timing belto or water pump history.

Never mind I see its a common issue not sure how to delete this post.

This post has been edited by Maine Jake: Mar 6 2014, 03:46 AM

+Quote Post
BRBRT03
post Mar 6 2014, 07:33 AM
Post #5

Wait....THATS a Hyundai!?!?!

Member No.: 6137
2013 Hyundai Genesis 2.0T R-Spec
R Coupe
2.0 Turbo / 6M
Tsukuba Red

QUOTE (Maine Jake @ Mar 6 2014, 03:30 AM) *
The car has 120k and I dong know the timing belto or water pump history.

120k with no record of it being done? Replace it all as soon as you can. Belt, pulleys, hyd tensioner, water pump, everything. At a decent shop it will run you $600 or so, dealer will be quite a bit more. Cheaper than a new motor.

ohh yeah. Welcome!

+Quote Post
Maine Jake
post Mar 6 2014, 07:49 AM
Post #6

Just joined...

2002 Dodge Stratus
R/T coupe
3.0 / 5 speed
black

QUOTE (BRBRT03 @ Mar 6 2014, 10:33 AM) *
120k with no record of it being done? Replace it all as soon as you can. Belt, pulleys, hyd tensioner, water pump, everything. At a decent shop it will run you $600 or so, dealer will be quite a bit more. Cheaper than a new motor.

ohh yeah. Welcome!

Thank you for the heads up. I assumed it might need to be done. Ill have my mounts Saturday so while I have the passenger upper off I'm going to pull the cover to inspect the belt. If I do a timing job I'll be doing it myself so are the kits on eBay sufficient I see there pretty cheap.

+Quote Post
Daes
post Mar 6 2014, 09:30 AM
Post #7

Veteran Member

Member No.: 5020
2001 Dodge Stratus
SE Coupe
2.4L / Manual
Pearl White

QUOTE (Maine Jake @ Mar 6 2014, 06:11 AM) *
Ok thanks I found the programing procedure for the fob online. Just to be clear the key can only be purchased from the dealer or can only bepprogrammed by the dealer. The keys on eBay are 50$+ cheaper then the dealer. If I could buy on eBay and have the dealer cut and program. Appreciate the help.

It depends on the dealer. Some won't touch an aftermarket key and some will. After you have 2 working keys, you can program a 3rd yourself if needed as a spare.

Also check with local locksmiths to see if they can program a second key for you.

This post has been edited by Daes: Mar 6 2014, 09:31 AM

+Quote Post
BRBRT03
post Mar 6 2014, 09:52 AM
Post #8

Wait....THATS a Hyundai!?!?!

Member No.: 6137
2013 Hyundai Genesis 2.0T R-Spec
R Coupe
2.0 Turbo / 6M
Tsukuba Red

QUOTE (Maine Jake @ Mar 6 2014, 08:49 AM) *
Thank you for the heads up. I assumed it might need to be done. Ill have my mounts Saturday so while I have the passenger upper off I'm going to pull the cover to inspect the belt. If I do a timing job I'll be doing it myself so are the kits on eBay sufficient I see there pretty cheap.

I'm wary of Ebay. I would get a Gates kit through Rock Auto. They seem to be well reviewed over on C3G. Aisin water pumps have a good rep as well and Gates tensioner's are made by NTX, which is who makes Mitsubishi's for them. OEM is best, but Dealer prices are stupid on them. Brands make a huge difference here. I personally do not recommend Dayco parts, had a bad experience with my R/T and got VERY lucky when my new idler pulley siezed and the belt jumped timing.

There's a good DIY writeup on C3G that walks you through the whole thing with Pics.

+Quote Post
Centurin
post Mar 7 2014, 05:15 AM
Post #9

Double Trouble

Member No.: 5625
2003 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
3.0L V6 / Automatic
Titanium Grey

I bought my 2nd key on ebay and had a dealership program it. They bitched and moaned about not being liable if it didn't work, but never had any problems. Just make sure it's a chip key.

+Quote Post
Maine Jake
post Mar 7 2014, 09:33 AM
Post #10

Just joined...

2002 Dodge Stratus
R/T coupe
3.0 / 5 speed
black

QUOTE (BRBRT03 @ Mar 6 2014, 01:52 PM) *
I'm wary of Ebay. I would get a Gates kit through Rock Auto. They seem to be well reviewed over on C3G. Aisin water pumps have a good rep as well and Gates tensioner's are made by NTX, which is who makes Mitsubishi's for them. OEM is best, but Dealer prices are stupid on them. Brands make a huge difference here. I personally do not recommend Dayco parts, had a bad experience with my R/T and got VERY lucky when my new idler pulley siezed and the belt jumped timing.

There's a good DIY writeup on C3G that walks you through the whole thing with Pics.

Good info to have thank you. I found the Gates kit on rock auto and a couple on eBay. I'll be tearing into it Sunday. Also think I'm going to need a power steering pump. When its cold the pump hitches and belt squeals. The belt looks fine bum going to try a new one and a fluid flush.

+Quote Post
Maine Jake
post Mar 7 2014, 09:36 AM
Post #11

Just joined...

2002 Dodge Stratus
R/T coupe
3.0 / 5 speed
black

Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to call the dealer shortly to see what they say about a afrermarket key.

+Quote Post
Maine Jake
post Mar 10 2014, 12:37 AM
Post #12

Just joined...

2002 Dodge Stratus
R/T coupe
3.0 / 5 speed
black

QUOTE (Maine Jake @ Mar 7 2014, 12:33 PM) *
Good info to have thank you. I found the Gates kit on rock auto and a couple on eBay. I'll be tearing into it Sunday. Also think I'm going to need a power steering pump. When its cold the pump hitches and belt squeals. The belt looks fine bum going to try a new one and a fluid flush.

Did my mounts yesterday. Took a look at the timing belt. Its a oem Mitsubishi belt. Its looks good all of the ribs are full not worn down but I assume its original equipment being Mitsubishi made. So that will be the next project.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2019 - 08:11 PM