Post #1

Just joined...

Group: New Members
Member No.: 6869
2003 Dodge Stratus
SXT Coupe
2.4L SOHC / Automatic
Red

Hi everyone! First timer here. Basically, I've been having problems with my 2003 SXT lately; most everything under the hood still works fine, but I had the problem of an extremely loud and squealing serpentine belt (we knew it was the serpentine since the problem was exacerbated by having the air conditioning on). While this wasn't a major problem, it was always extremely loud, so me and my father decided to replace both the alternator belt and the serpentine belt. However, after doing so, I now have another, more serious problem; anytime the wheel is turned fully to one direction, either left or right, the belt catches. The entire power steering pump wheel stops rotating, and the belt screeches loudly as the crankshaft is still in contact with the belt, and is still spinning. This problem only occurs when the wheel is turned fully, and is less serious (but still occurs) if the air conditioning pump is not engaged. Another problem is that the adjustment bolt for the idler pulley not only stripped, but completely broke off. The bolt that secures the idler pulley itself is still in position, however. (Also, when the serpentine belt was replaced, we had a really hard time. The power steering pump had to be moved slightly in order to force the belt on, as a result of the adjustment bolt no longer functioning.)

So, my question is essentially whether anyone has some idea what the primary cause of the belt screeching may be, as well as where I could find the bolts for the idler pulley (both the securing bolt and the adjustment bolt). I would greatly appreciate any help with this, or any other tips you all may have. Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Centurin
post Sep 10 2017, 02:14 PM
Post #2

Double Trouble

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 5625
2003 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
3.0L V6 / Automatic
Titanium Grey

I personally can't help you. However, over club3g.com their problems section is pretty active. Since the Eclipse and Stratus coupe are identical mechanically, any advice you find there is applicable.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 06:23 PM