Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5498
2002 Dodge Stratus
SE Coupe
3.0 L / Auto
Tan

hellllo errybody,
so when driving my stratus, there is a quite audible humming sound. this is especially loud right around 40 mph. when going straight and when i turn the steering wheel left, it hums. but when i turn the wheel right, the noise completely stops. i am told it could be wheel bearings? help!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dk89
post Sep 12 2010, 11:22 AM
Post #2

Respect is Earned.

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 4611
2002 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
V6 3.0L / Manual
Pearl

Try searching...
I really doubt that nobody has commented on a "humming noise" problem.

+Quote Post
lw1102strat
post Sep 12 2010, 11:35 AM
Post #3

2002 Dodge Stratus
SE Coupe
3.0 L / Auto
Tan

ya i did search buddy

+Quote Post
John Martin
post Sep 12 2010, 01:17 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5699
2001 Chrysler Sebring
LXi Coupe
6G72 / F4A51
Pearl White

It is your wheel bearing...most likely your right one. Don't get too stressed about it, it's a simple thing to fix with a little mechanical know how and basic tools. The part isn't too expensive either...I paid about 50 dollars a side for mine. But start with your right side, replace it, and then if the noise continues move on to the left side. But do not haste on fixing it...you could risk additional damage. Not to mention an unsafe condition.

+Quote Post
whiteout
post Sep 12 2010, 01:18 PM
Post #5

Please excuse the typos, I'm not used to the straight jacket

Member No.: 1027
2001 Stratus R/T
R/T Coupe
3.0 V6 / Autostick
Satin White

It very well may be a front wheel bearing going bad. If you can jack up the car from the center crossmember under the front get the whole nose off the ground so the wheels are in the air and shake the tires top to bottom, not side to side, to see how much play isin them. If either side "wobbles" much worse than the other, that's the bad bearing side. If the hum is loud enough to hear already, it must be solved quickly, that bearing has a very short expected life ahead

+Quote Post
JVP
post Sep 12 2010, 01:33 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 5144
04 Dodge stratus r/t
RT coupe
6g72 / manual
black

QUOTE (whiteout @ Sep 12 2010, 02:18 PM) *
It very well may be a front wheel bearing going bad. If you can jack up the car from the center crossmember under the front get the whole nose off the ground so the wheels are in the air and shake the tires top to bottom, not side to side, to see how much play isin them. If either side "wobbles" much worse than the other, that's the bad bearing side. If the hum is loud enough to hear already, it must be solved quickly, that bearing has a very short expected life ahead

and if the splines on the axle and hub assembly are seized you are boned into either cutting off the axle and replacing both the hub and axle, or bringing it some where with a large press. I have to cut the axle. The press did absolutely nothing as well as every other tool and note to go about doing it.

+Quote Post
lw1102strat
post Sep 13 2010, 07:13 PM
Post #7

2002 Dodge Stratus
SE Coupe
3.0 L / Auto
Tan

alright thanks yeah thats what i thinkin, and thanks to those who actually help and not just put the automatic "search for it"

its quite a relief!!

+Quote Post
John Martin
post Sep 13 2010, 09:10 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 5699
2001 Chrysler Sebring
LXi Coupe
6G72 / F4A51
Pearl White

It's no problem to help you out dude. Just understand when these guys say use the search button it's because they've seen guys come in throw in about 20 or so posts ask a bunch of questions that could have been answered by a simple search. I've gone through these forums and I guarantee you over 60% of the old posts are unnecessary because there was a detailed account covering the same topic previously posted. I did a quick search and found a couple of topics covering wheel bearing on the first page. I'm not trying to flame you, just stating the facts. good luck with the bearings though. Shouldn't be to hard to fix.

+Quote Post
AllEur0.
post Oct 12 2010, 09:39 PM
Post #9

Human Encyclopedia

Member No.: 2117
2000 Jeep Wrangler
vert
4.0L / 5sp
Patriot Blue

QUOTE (whiteout @ Sep 12 2010, 12:18 PM) *

A unitized bearing will cause play in the wheel in any direction, not just vertical. If it's ONLY vertical, it's the ball joints. If it's ONLY horizontal, it's tie rods. If it's EVERYTHING, it could be EVERYTHING. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/Chair.gif) You have to look at where the halfshaft goes into the knuckle/hub assembly when you're shaking the tire, and see if the joint has play while the knuckle and tie rod stays put.

+Quote Post
03whitestratus
post Dec 30 2010, 11:02 AM
Post #10

Just joined...

Member No.: 5758
2003 Dodge Stratus
RT Coupe
3.0 V6 / Auto
White

I had somewhat of the same problem with my stratus. It would hum like crazy. When you jacked it up and checked the bearing seemed fine just a little play not much. So I went ahead and replaced the passenger side bearing. once i had it all the way out it was completely shot. But it still hummed so replaced all 4 wheel bearings still hummed. Found out it was my rear tires not wearing correctly and had to get the camber adjustment kit to fix and a whole new set of tires. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) That was not a cheap fix in my book. But hopefully it was just the bearing in your case.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2018 - 07:58 PM