Post #1

Just joined...

Group: Members
Member No.: 3768
2003 Chrysler Sebring
LX Convertible
2.4L DOHC / Auto
Sapphire Blue

In July, I will be heading to CO for 2 months for work. When I come back, my wallet is going to be very fat.

I've had an idea for a new project, but need somebody to handle the job. I want to own the first 2.4L DOHC Turbo Sebring convertible. The parts to do the build are available. I am not a novice to mechanics, but this is a job I'd rather leave to someone who has a clue. After reading some of your posts, I am impressed with your ethics.

Is turboing the stock 2.4L DOHC in my car something you would be willing to tackle? Right now I'm just feeling out shops, but this is going to be a real project come October of this year for someone. My goal for the car is an 11sec 1/4 mile. I don't care if it's 11.99 just as long as it's in the 11's. An 11.5 would make me more than happy as I don't care to go any faster than that in a convertible.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fatboyinfl
post Jun 14 2006, 05:27 PM
Post #2

What should I name myself?

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 1962
2003 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
3.0L V6 / 4 Speed Auto :(
Indy Red

So you would settle for 11's? Man, people ask so little these days from automatic seabrings that have four cylinder engines!

If I was you, I would require it to be on street tires since you're settling for 11.9's.

This post has been edited by fatboyinfl: Jun 14 2006, 05:28 PM

+Quote Post
Brutal
post Jun 14 2006, 07:46 PM
Post #3

Boosted 3.0

Member No.: 2308
2001 Dodge Stratus
RT Coupe
3.0 / Black

haha!!!

+Quote Post
PharmEcis
post Jun 14 2006, 07:48 PM
Post #4

UCSPerformance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 518
2001 Dodge Stratus R/T
R/T Coupe
3.0 V6 Turbo / 5 Spd Manual
Ice Silver

Ignore JJ's sarcasm.

To be honest with you, I don't have any actual wrench experience on that motor. That doesn't mean that I can't come up with something for you though.

What I really think would be your best option to achieve those goals is to do a SRT4 motor swap w/ ECU and harness. That setup would get you to where you want to be considering you have a weight disadvantage w/ the vert. Of course, you'd probably want to build the block and toss on at least a 50 trim if not bigger.

The only thing I have to find out is if your tranny will bolt up. But then, there is no way in hell your tranny would take that kind of power. It would have to be built as well. Otherwise you might be getting a 5spd from the SRT4 too. Time to start looking for some wrecked ones... (IMG:http://www.2gstratus.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'm sure I can get you to where you want to go but I'm letting you know now it is absolutely not going to be cheap. I hope those 2 months are good to your wallet... (IMG:http://www.2gstratus.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Yes, I could also figure something out if you wanted to keep your original motor, but it will probably cost almost as much and take just as long to do.

+Quote Post
sebringdroptop20...
post Jun 15 2006, 01:36 PM
Post #5

Just joined...

2003 Chrysler Sebring
LX Convertible
2.4L DOHC / Auto
Sapphire Blue

I know it's not going to be cheap. I never expected it to be. You pay for what you get and I want the best.

I'm not oppsoed to an SRT-4 swap. That was my original plan. I think the auto trans may bolt up to it, but I'm not sure. The GTC convertible is a 5spd and it's the same tranny that's in the SRT. So if the SRT tranny will bolt up to the 'verts motor, I'm assuming (yeah I know) that the auto tranny will bolt up the the SRT motor.

I don't want to do a 5psd swap. I want the auto for consistency at the track and for crusing. I hate rowing gears anymore. I'm going to do the autostick conversion on mine anyway so I can have the manumatic ability. I found a company that can and has rebuilt the automatic to support 500 HP. They do the trannys for the SRT-4 drag cars.

I've done some calculations and 450 fwhp should put me at my goal. I really don't think that's too far of a stretch since there are SRT-4's out there pushing 500 hp.

I guess when I get closer to October we'll have to sit down and talk. Thanks for the response.

+Quote Post
RaDStraT
post Jun 15 2006, 07:46 PM
Post #6

Stratus Killer

Member No.: 5
2002 R/T Silver
Coupe
3.0L V6 / Automagic
Silver

You should do a twin turbo stealth motor and drive train sawp into your car.

Its been talked about to death search some old posts.

Or sell your car and buy my 11 second car for 9k

+Quote Post
sebringdroptop20...
post Jun 16 2006, 01:38 AM
Post #7

Just joined...

2003 Chrysler Sebring
LX Convertible
2.4L DOHC / Auto
Sapphire Blue

I'm pretty sure a Stealth motor won't fit into my car. I don't want a differant 11 sec car, I want my car to be 11 seconds. How many hooked up Sebring 'verts do you see like mine? Now add a turbo motor to it and it's really unigue!

+Quote Post
PharmEcis
post Jun 16 2006, 03:33 AM
Post #8

UCSPerformance

2001 Dodge Stratus R/T
R/T Coupe
Ice Silver

QUOTE (RaDStraT @ Jun 15 2006, 11:46 PM)
You should do a twin turbo stealth motor and drive train sawp into your car.

Its been talked about to death search some old posts.

Or sell your car and buy my 11 second car for 9k

We aren't talking about a car that has a 6g72 in it dummy...

Go back to blowing up GN's... (IMG:http://www.2gstratus.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
AllEur0.
post Jun 16 2006, 03:50 PM
Post #9

Human Encyclopedia

Member No.: 2117
2000 Jeep Wrangler
vert
4.0L / 5sp
Patriot Blue

My suggestion is a DSM 4g63 swap....same mounting locations as the 4g64, correct? Same harness and ECU, just different software? Will it bolt up to the same tranny?

At least sort of stick to the topic - thanks (coastal96)

This post has been edited by coastal96: Jun 16 2006, 07:49 PM

+Quote Post
theycallmeebryan
post Jun 16 2006, 04:28 PM
Post #10

Going fast is now cheap

Member No.: 2543
2001 Dodge Stratus
SE Coupe
V6 / Instashift
Black

The srt-4 block will not bolt up to your transmission. Greg, why would you suggest that? It would be MUCH MUCH better to do an evo swap with a 4g63 DOHC motor. There is one guy on club3g that has already done it.

In my opinion, a evo motor swap will be much easier and makes more sense, not to mention its been proven that it bolts up to the 4cyl tranny. Just look at the numbers they are running!

+Quote Post
fatboyinfl
post Jun 16 2006, 05:29 PM
Post #11

2003 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
Indy Red

QUOTE (AllEur0. @ Jun 16 2006, 07:50 PM)
And don't worry about fatboyinfl's comments, he's just got some kind of superiority complex because his friend has a 9 second Ford GT. Pretty lame talking down on 11's when he owns a stock engined R/T and brags about his friends' accomplishments.

I dont recal buying my RT to be a racecar. I bought it because it was what I liked best from my options on my budget.

It was being sarcastic on the 11's comment, sorry i didnt use smileys. I figured by saying that it wasnt asking much taking a mid 16 second car or higher and getting it in the 11's that was pretty obvious sarcasm.

Good luck with this guys.

+Quote Post
sebringdroptop20...
post Jun 16 2006, 06:04 PM
Post #12

Just joined...

2003 Chrysler Sebring
LX Convertible
2.4L DOHC / Auto
Sapphire Blue

The 2.4L DOHC motor in my car has no similarities to the 2.4L in the coupe. It is basically the same motor that is in the SRT-4, PT Cruiser and Stratus/Sebring sedan. While the coupe's are based off the Eclipse, the sedans and convertible are the same (and a differant) platform.

Yes I have lofty dreams. When I bought this car, I had every intention of turning it into an 11 sec eurorod. Yes I could have bought a mustang, or any other populary modded car out there. Then I would have been like every other idiot out there. I had a Camaro once. It was red. Red Camaro are like assholes, everybody had one. I want a completely unique vehicle that I won't see 10 other ones just like it on the way to work.

Here's a link to some info on my engine: Allpar

PharmEcis, is there any info that I can find to for you in the mean time?

+Quote Post
coastal96
post Jun 16 2006, 07:51 PM
Post #13

Car's that come w/ factory turbos are better

Member No.: 18
2005 Mitsubishi Evo VIII
Sedan
2.00 / M/T
Black

I admit I didn't realize the convertable is actually build on a different platform. So, first we are talking about an I4 here, not a V6. Second, the I4 in the convertable is a Chrysler motor, not the Mitsu that is in the coupes. Now that we have that straight the suggestions can continue (IMG:http://www.2gstratus.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
PharmEcis
post Jun 16 2006, 08:23 PM
Post #14

UCSPerformance

2001 Dodge Stratus R/T
R/T Coupe
Ice Silver

I think some people should realize that when I speak I'm not talking out of my ass.

The Sebring vert is a true CHRYSLER MADE CAR. It is NOT a Mitsu/Chrysler 1/2 breed. It shares NOTHING with our platform. I stated I had no prior wrench time on this motor, that doesn't mean that I don't know anything about the platform.

The EDV/EDT motor found in the SRT4 is very similar to the EDZ found in his Sebring and was the reason it was what I suggested as the most likely swap. Sure... you can put any motor into any car but the question becomes which one will require the least amount of work to work right and make power?

The SRT4 ECU will most likely drive the Sebring dash as everything should pretty much be the same part. Repinning the ECU wires is going to be an absolute must. I have the diagrams and I can figure it out. The hardest part is doing the pinout mapping for the swap. For example, the signal wire that drives the speedometer should work the same no matter which IP it is trying to drive, either the bring or the SRT4... it's just a different pin on the ECU harness so it would have to be moved to the corresponding spot on the other harness. Translation, about 150 wires to repin.. LOL

Best thing for me is your motor and an srt4 motor side by side on engine stands. Blueprints of the motor would work too I guess, but are harder to come by.

+Quote Post
fatboyinfl
post Jun 16 2006, 08:26 PM
Post #15

2003 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
Indy Red

sebringdroptop2003 and pharm.......

Chris just bought an SRT4 engine, so if theres any shots that you need, let me know and I can ask him to snap them before putting the engine in storage. Be sure to tell me what exact part or angle you need.

This post has been edited by fatboyinfl: Jun 16 2006, 08:26 PM

+Quote Post
PharmEcis
post Jun 16 2006, 08:28 PM
Post #16

UCSPerformance

2001 Dodge Stratus R/T
R/T Coupe
Ice Silver

Take enough pictures that I get a complete 360 degree vertically and horizontally views of it.

That would be great mr. hotshot photobug.. (IMG:http://www.2gstratus.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
fatboyinfl
post Jun 16 2006, 08:46 PM
Post #17

2003 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
Indy Red

QUOTE (PharmEcis @ Jun 17 2006, 12:28 AM)
Take enough pictures that I get a complete 360 degree vertically and horizontally views of it.

That would be great mr. hotshot photobug.. (IMG:http://www.2gstratus.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

nono Chris as in the one who's in Chicago (IMG:http://www.2gstratus.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I would be more than happy to do a quicktime 360 degree view if it was here.......we just got the thingamabobber to shoot that stuff with at work (IMG:http://www.2gstratus.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Brutal
post Jul 14 2006, 07:21 AM
Post #18

Boosted 3.0

Member No.: 2308
2001 Dodge Stratus
RT Coupe
3.0 / Black

I say trade the bring in for the srt4 and cut to roof off so its a convertable. That sounds a little easier to me.

+Quote Post
hellsspawn
post Jul 15 2006, 04:19 AM
Post #19

Teh Sexeyness

Member No.: 3112
2004 Mitsubishi Spyder
gt Convertible
3.0l 6g72 / 5mt
red

all i can say is be ready to make 600 hp to run an 11 in a 4klb car....

+Quote Post
fatboyinfl
post Jul 15 2006, 11:23 AM
Post #20

2003 Dodge Stratus
R/T Coupe
Indy Red

QUOTE (sebringdroptop2003 @ Jun 15 2006, 05:36 PM)
I've done some ca lculations and 450 fwhp should put me at my goal. I really don't think that's too far of a stretch since there are SRT-4's out there pushing 500 hp.

Those SRT4's aren't getting below mid 11s and they're MUCH lighter. The srt4 that was in the 500hp range lasted one week and was spraying the intercooler with n2o.

Oh, and the SRT4 ECU fights pretty much anything over 400hp. Talk to the guys on srtforums.

Pharm would definatly get publicity if he pulled this off.

This post has been edited by fatboyinfl: Jul 15 2006, 11:25 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th August 2018 - 02:29 AM