post Mar 14 2012, 11:41 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6102
2004 Dodge Stratus
RT Coupe
3.0 / Auto
Indy Red

I have searched every way I can think of and didn't find an answer. My drivers side door NEVER wants to stay open even on level ground. Is their a way to fix this problem?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ViperMan
post May 1 2012, 02:06 PM
Post #2

11.1.08 - The VIPER has arrived

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 85
2000 Dodge Viper
GTS Coupe
8.0L V10 / 6-Speed
Black

Now THAT's a question I can't say I've ever seen...

Open the door all the way - you should see a corrugated rubber hose - this carries your wires and such to the door. Above that (going off of memory here) should be a metal "bar" that attaches to the door and kinda disappears into the body. It should have a divot in it - probably not readily visible but inside the body itself. Inside the body is usually a spring-loaded bearing that "falls" into this divot to hold the door in an open position. It's possible that this spring mechanism broke or is stuck.

That being said, I have NO IDEA how to go about replacing it if it's broken - I don't even know how to access the thing besides through that small opening. I imagine it's deep behind the dash as I'm pretty sure it's not visible from under the hood. Maybe down beneath the windshield cowl?

If you can SEE the spring and it appears to be in tact, you could try hitting it with some white lithium grease to free it up. Oh and it's also possible that the rod I'm referring to with the divot is misaligned, broken, bent, or missing.

Dunno if any of this helps - grab some pictures of the door hinge area and slap 'em up here if possible.

+Quote Post
reimer/t
post May 8 2012, 01:02 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4857
2002 dodge stratus
r/t coupe
3.0 / 5 speed
black

QUOTE (gplayer12 @ Mar 14 2012, 11:41 AM) *
I have searched every way I can think of and didn't find an answer. My drivers side door NEVER wants to stay open even on level ground. Is their a way to fix this problem?

Mine does same thing. Bad bushings is what i guess mine is. It is annoying

+Quote Post
whiteout
post May 8 2012, 04:09 PM
Post #4

Please excuse the typos, I'm not used to the straight jacket

Group: Active Members
Member No.: 1027
2001 Stratus R/T
R/T Coupe
3.0 V6 / Autostick
Satin White

I know the door checks on the Strats are replaceable because I had one of the ones in my car replaced ynder warranty when it was still new. They bolt onto the door on one side and are held into a clamp on the other side by a pin that pulls out. Startus coupes have huge, heavy doors though, so if the car is ever on too much of an incline the door will never stay open on it's own without some kind of assistance

+Quote Post
gplayer12
post May 8 2012, 06:39 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 6102
2004 Dodge Stratus
RT Coupe
3.0 / Auto
Indy Red

QUOTE (whiteout @ May 8 2012, 06:09 PM) *
I know the door checks on the Strats are replaceable because I had one of the ones in my car replaced ynder warranty when it was still new. They bolt onto the door on one side and are held into a clamp on the other side by a pin that pulls out. Startus coupes have huge, heavy doors though, so if the car is ever on too much of an incline the door will never stay open on it's own without some kind of assistance

I've begun to just get used to it. My girlfriend has a 97 and an 02 eclipse and I wish my doors stayed open half as well.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th August 2018 - 11:33 AM